SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

channel balance part

A handy person from Washington says:
I was hoping you could help me to make sure I have the correct window balance before I order.It is a non-tilt window sash. I have deducted that it is the series 385. It is 21" long and 5/8" wide. The window balance top is winged. (19-005) the channel balance shoe is also winged (15-004) because it measures 1 3/32" instead of 1" even.
The markings on my older balance (original) is {20 9 30# CL CALDWELL} No other markings.
Now for the weight of the window. We weighed it at 38lbs. Not sure if I need the 2040 or the 2050 stamp option because of the sash weight range.
Thanks for your help!
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I agree that our Series 385 is a match, but I would like you to confirm your sash weight. 38 pounds is extremely heavy for a 21" long channel balance, and I don't think we can even custom make that.
A handy person says:
It is a triple pane window, and very heavy. Weighed while holding it on a bath scale which has been fairly accurate.(Maybe 1 or 2 pounds either way). So the 38 lbs. in half would be 19 lbs per channel balance. Just wondering how your sash weight range works??
Thanks so much for your help!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Our sash weight chart doesn't cut weights in half. They are calculated assuming two balances are holding up the displayed weight.

What's strange is that your original stamp is meant for windows that weigh 27 through 30 pounds. Did you ever find your balance to be too weak in the past?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)