SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

channel balance parts needed for Kolbe thermopane double hung window

A handy person from Ann Arbor, MI says:
A set (left and right side) of the lower window of Kolbe thermopane double hung window.

Please let me know if more photos would help.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us. I believe we can make this balance, though it will need to be a custom order. I'm thinking of a 30" long Series 751 balance but with the shoe swapped out for the 15-197, and a 19-030 "S" clip installed at the top. Does that look good to you?

If so, we will need a bit m ore information. First, can you tell me what number is printed on the existing metal channel? Can you also tell me how many you need?
A handy person says:
Before making the custom balance please let me know how much it will cost.

The channel # is on an attached photo. The other photos show that the measurements are identical to the replacement parts except for the clip which is 1/8" wider but probably not important.

Also needed are the pins at the bottom of the window edges--photos of the left and right pins are attached.

Shoe photos to be added in a following message.
A handy person says:
Photos of shoe attached--measurements of replacements match perfectly.

BTW, 2 sets of channel hardware needed--for right and left sides.

Apparently the trick to having the balances last a long time is to not take the window out!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you. I'm a little confused. Your stamp starts with a 28, but your picture above makes the balance seem to be 30" long. Can you confirm the exact length of the metal channel? With your stamp, the length should be 29". Can you also tell me the weight of the sash, just in case? At this point, I think it would be best if we were 100% sure what spring strength you need, and knowing the sash weight will tell us that.

Once I have that, we can send you a custom order link and price quote for 4 of these balances. If you want a different quantity, let me know!
A handy person says:
I think only 2 balances are needed--only the bottom (inner) window needs them--one for each side.

weight of bottom window: approx 25 lbs -- will send exact weight a little later

photos attached of whole window and inner channel with measurements
A handy person says:
weight of lower window: 30.6 lbs
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Your measurements are still a little confusing, but I gather that you are confirming that the length of the metal channel is 29" long. I will send you a custom order form for 4 of these.
A handy person says:
Hello Tom,

Correct--I'm confirming the channel length as 29".

Are 4 channels needed? The top window works fine--it's only the bottom window that won't work so aren't only 2 channels needed?

Profile picture of Tom
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you had requested 4. It's been a long week! I'll change the quantity immediately.
A handy person says:
Got the parts very promptly--thanks. Also needed, as shown in two photos of the damaged parts, are the left and right cams--I had called them "pins" when I sent the photos above.
Profile picture of Tom
Great! Thanks for getting back to us. For the two pins, see the 26-151 and 26-152, I think these could work.
A home owner says:
Thanks for the quick reply. Those are close to identical except on the originals there's a tab that sticks out from the part that engges the window as show in one of the attached photos.
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
I see what you mean. Honestly, you should be okay. Now, it's possible those tabs served a specific function, but you never can be sure with these older windows. My logic is, the 26-151 and 26-152 work great with the 15-197 shoe, so since that's what you're using you should be fine.
A home owner says:
The windows can swing out if pulled from the top for cleaning. My guess is that the tabs have something to do with that. Since we aren't going to do that any more--it breaks the parts and chews up the channel if not done perfectly right, what Swisco has should do. I'll order a set if shipping isn't too high. Thanks.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)