SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

channel balance removal

A quick learner from Brighton, MI says:
The top guide of the channel balances I need to remove have small "wings" on them such as the 19-004 top. These "wings" ride inside of slots and prevent me from pulling out on the top of the balance to remove it as shown in your video. What is the proper method for removal in this case? I do not want to remove that entire insert from the window jamb if I can avoid it. I am thinking perhaps of cutting a small opening in the top center of it to allow the "wings" to be removed at the top. What do you suggest? I did not get good pictures of this part.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
There isn't any different way to remove a balance with the 19-004 top. It should come out the same way as we show in our video. I don't know why this wouldn't be possible. Are you sure this is what you have? I would need to see pictures in order to offer a better suggestion.
The top of the balance cannot be pulled directly out because the parts of the channel guide that extend to the sides of the guide such as can be seen on the right side of the guide shown in the photo of 19-004 are inside of a track in the window jamb. I am attaching a photo in which this can be seen fairly clearly. The channel balance is still in the window sash in this photo but you can still see the guide in the track.
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for the picture! That is a huge help. I believe you have the Weathervane wood window. They make custom balances that with special lengths that use a 19-038 top attachment and 15-193 bottom attachment. I was told by service people familiar with this window that the only way to replace the balance is to remove the sash and the jamb, as you mentioned. I personally can't see any other way in removing the balance without breaking the top sash guide. I am sorry we cannot offer an easier solution.
Thanks for your response. I was able to remove the balance by cutting a small notch on one side of the track at the top, raising the balance to the top, then tipping it to one side. The parts you show for the top and bottom attachments (19-038 and 15-193) look like the correct ones for what I need. I need some 25" by approx. 5/8" balances. These are stamped 2440 r. I also need some 28" by approx. 5/8" balances. These are stamped 2840 q. Are these available with the top and bottom attachments you noted? I also need the part that holds the balance in the window sash at the top. I have attached some pictures of it. It is 3 1/4" long by about 9/16" wide. Your help with ordering information for these parts is appreciated.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sure, we can custom make a 25" balance with the 19-038 top, 15-193 bottom, and 2440 option. How many will you need?

I'm afraid we do not have that top sash guide. I've seen it before but we've never been able to locate a match. It may not be available anymore.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)