SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

channel balance weight

A home owner from seattle says:
I am replacing at least 8 window channel balances- all of which have failed in the same way: the bottom of the metal spring (that attaches to the cord pulley) has broken. Does this mean that I should choose a heavier weight for the spring? The current marking on my channel balances is 3230G

Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Balances wear out through age or constant use. Were these balances what originally came with the windows? Typically, block and tackle balances last about ten years? You only want the spring strength that matches the weight of the sash. If you get something stronger, it won't extend the life of the balance like you think. If anything, the window won't work properly.
A quick learner says:
Okay, thanks. Yes, I do believe that the balances were original to the windows. They are probably over 20 years old. We will replace with similar spring strength.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)