SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

choosing spiral balance

A home owner from Connecticut says:
We are beginning to refurbish our windows and while the spiral balances are okay the plastic tube disintegrates when trying to remove. There is no way to unhook the balance from the window first. The top of the balance is nailed to the frame and the bottom is screwed to the sash. So we're going to replace the lower balances as we go and caulk the top sashes in place. I do not see a colored tip like in your photos. There does appear to be a white piece of plastic, but I'm not sure if the manufacturer of these windows (unknown) followed the same convention. The windows date from the late 50's. The tube disintegrated so I have nothing to measure. The spring is 19.25" long and the spiral portion is the same so the total length extended is 38.5". The sash weighs about 6.5 lbs. We have 22 windows so if you can help me with the code so as we go along I can order the proper balances. I'm attaching 2 photos of the balance. This is the smallest of our windows.

I've attached a bunch more photos. I took some of a window where much of the hardware is unpainted. I even took a photo of the only markings I've seen on the windows. Apparently in the 1950s the manufacturers were not as much into branding. I also wiped down the hardware that I had already removed and took more photos. I only now realized that I have 2 different lengths and I'm assuming that the upper would be the shorter of the two. The brackets, which do not remove from the balance were deformed in the removal process. I was planning on just picking a similar bracket that I could attach to the window and use the tool you sell that allows you to unhook the balance and "charge" it. When I took new photos of the removed hardware I tried to collapse the balance to it's "natural" state, just before the spiral interfered with the hole where the balance attaches to the window frame. Again, I'm looking to replace all the existing balances so I'm only interested in reproducing the function of the lower sash balances. The upper sash will be "nailed" shut.
A customer submitted photo of balance attachments.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Please take a look at our S500-19 spiral balance with a red tip and either our 17-007 #X54 bracket or 17-012 #32 bracket. Do you think these might work for you?

For a charging tool, please look at our 75-005 Spiral Balance Charging Tool for Non-tilt Windows.

Also be sure to look at our guide on how to adjust spiral balances for non-tilt windows.
A home owner from Connecticut says:
Thanks Paul and the x54 bracket looks like it will work. Could you tell me what's the weight range on the red tip? This is our smallest window and when we eventually start in on the others I want to know at what sash weight will I need to move to a different rated balance. Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The S500-19 spiral balance with a red tip holds a weight range from 6 to 19 lbs., and an S500-19 with a blue tip holds 10 to 29 lbs.

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)