SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

cloth or poly backing

A quick learner from ca says:
Hi, I've measured a good piece and it's .188 x .188 with cloth backing. Is this 58-021 cloth or poly backing? This sliding glass door is probably from the 70's but can't find any identifiers. I've tried some Hardware store poly backing and can't get it to engage well using a proper size curved pick. Have cleaned the tracks the best I could but seems the poly doesn't want to flex enough to go in. Also noticed you didn't have any picks in your tools. Any Suggestions?

Thanks, PJ
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The wool pile of today is almost all poly-backed. This is so that it can be mechanically installed into the pile groove. Can you remove the rail off your door and install it that way? That might be what you have to do. Just be careful not to damage the glass or the door itself when removing it.
A quick learner from CA says:
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I don't see any way to remove that rail, short of taking the whole frame out. Probably not in my skill set. Plus the vertical rail interferes with trying to feed it from the end. I'm wondering if your poly is more flexible than the stuff I got at the hardware store?

I have no issue with trying your brand or I found something called Zip which is staggered poly and may relieve some of the access/flexibility issues, plus yours is the correct height. The stuff I got was .25 dense pile and I'm sure of my measurements from a good piece I got from the far corner. I also mic'd the spacing and the door and 3/16 should be perfect,(old Engineer). I can only get the zip in .25 or .30 height which will be long again and only 100' rolls. Another thought I had was to soak it in warm water before installing then blow dry it before putting the door back in. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, PJ
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid I've never heard of "zip" wool pile weatherstripping before. As for heating it, I don't believe that would work, either. I honestly think your best bet is to take the rail off the door to install the new wool pile that way. Another suggestion would be to maybe cut a notch at the corner/end of the rail and slide in the new wool pile from there. After it's installed, tap or bend over the cut end of the groove so the pile will not slip out when operating the the door.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)