SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

coil balance & support

A home owner from Saratoga Springs NY says:
Owens Corning tilt in 14yrs old, coil balance snapped numbers appear to be 5.0 35in 523208, it is 1/2 in wide

unable to remove support 3 13/16in wide, no way to remove it from track without breaking it

Don't see any parts that seem right on website
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
We can help, but I'll need more information.

The coil balance springs fit under the plastic housing shown in your top photo. I see the window manufacturer made a cut out on the window track for you, so this should be painless. First, tilt in and remove the bottom sash. Then, unscrew the plastic cover and slide it down and out of the frame through the cut out. To remove the pivot shoe where the broken spring is screwed on, place a flat-head screw driver where the tilt bar fits into and turn it to release the brake, then slide it up to the cut out.

Once all the hardware is removed, show me a picture of the shoe and spring and I can help suggest a replacement balance.
A home owner from Saratoga Springs NY says:
The plastic housing broke when trying to remove, there was a coiled spring behind it, the housing is much longer than the opening.I am sending pics of pivot shoe and spring. Not quite sure how it all goes together, if you do have parts could you supply some guidance on assembly.
Thank you
User submitted a photo of a pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
We have a video on how to install a coil spring balance. Check it out below. As for the hardware itself, your parts look like the our 15-191 pivot lock shoe, S160-5 spring, and 15-150 coil support.
A home owner from Saratoga springs ny says:
Our window coil support had two springs can we go with the suggested parts or should we use a double support and two coil springs?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
If you had two springs, you should stick with that. Our 15-150D is a double support bracket.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)