SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

crossbow balance replacement

A home owner from No. VA says:
Hello. I need to replace 14 crossbow balances on my 7 windows and I need assistance in purchasing the right parts. I have what looks to be the Series 850 crossbow balance, but I don't know what measurements I should take into consideration when selecting and purchasing the parts needed. The spring mechanism measures 16.5", but with the plastic dowel, the part I have measures 36.25". The bottom half of the tilt window measures 38". What is the correct length I should purchase? also, will the string be long enough to reach the connecting screw at the top half of the window, at 74.5" from the base?
finally, can you direct me to the right peg that connects from the window base to the bottom of the balance (which is 1", btw)?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Length for the Series 850 is determined by measuring from the top of the white cap to the bottom of the shoe. Consider the image below to see what I mean.

The peg sounds like the pivot bar. I will need to see a few pictures of that part removed from the sash in order to identify a good replacement, since there is no one pivot bar that goes with the Series 850 balance. Let me know!
A home owner from Northern VA says:
for my windows, the parts i have that need to be replaced do not have a top white cap as shown for the Series 850. i don't know why oy. since buying those house, i have always had problems with the windows staying open/up. only recently when i investigated did i see that thru bottom white pieces, closest to the spring, were drying out and breaking/broken.
i am attaching some pics this time, showing the full length and pieces that i have.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you. Based on what I see here, I think you should consider our S850-36 (36.5" long) balance with a 1" shoe. The white shoe is for sashes weighing 25 through 32 pounds, and the black shoe is for sashes weighing 9 through 25 pounds. We don't have individual replacement parts for this balance, just the entire unit.
A home owner from Northern VA says:
Would it be best I purchase the white shoe, to be on the safe side?
Also, what peg do you recommend that would go into the window itself, attaching that to the balance shoe?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You should pick the shoe that matches the weight of your sash. Getting a stronger shoe wont make the window work better, in fact it may render it inoperable! The tilt bar that often goes with the Series 850 is our 26-318. Does this look like your old one?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)