SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

dbl hung window saftey locks

A contractor from NJ says:
I am building a childcare facility the spec silverline double hung windows which I ordered. The owner now wants them to be fixed for safety reasons. Is there a safety latch available or an assembly that makes them fixed?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. We took a look at the Silverline double hung window and came to the following conclusion: to make the top sash stationary, you will have to raise it all the way up and install two or three screws across the top. Install them high enough so as to not drill into the glass. For the bottom sash, we recommend our 26-387 security lock. This lock will prevent the bottom sash from raising even if you unlock the widow, but can still be released in an emergency. Seeing as how this is for a childcare facility, I don't think they want the windows permanently locked in case of emergency.

Always check with the fire code in your area to see if you are allowed to retro-fit these windows for a day care!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)