SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

dbl pane thermalguard? by seasonall windows - spiral balances

A quick learner from NEO says:
what size balances go on the top and bottom windows? same size on both sides of a window pane? how do I know if a balance is good or not? I have some that are laying around uninstalled and I need to know how to install them and tell if they are working.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. If your windows are drooping after you raise them, then your springs have lost tension. You could try winding them one or two times to see if you can gain some tension back (refer to the guide at the end of this post), but if that doesn't work then it's time to replace them. There isn't really any way you can tell if a balance is shot just by holding it in your hand. It requires some experimentation and trial and error.

Many windows have the same sized balances for both the top and bottom sash, but many other windows do not. I recommend measuring them all to confirm.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)