"Axle" for patio door roller/wheel

A home owner from Vancouver, BC, Canada says:
Sorry I don't know the terminology, but here goes. The patio door is very old, and I can't get replacement roller parts. I'm thinking I'll just drill a 1/4" hole through the door bottom rail, and install one of your wheels (1 1/2" diameter, 1/4" hole). I don't care about having to adjust the height, I'll set the wheel at the needed height. What I need is an "axle". From my searching Google, I think I need a 1 1/4" binder post and screw, to fit your 1/4' roller hole. Do you have that? Thanks, Jay
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Can you send pictures of what the roller looks like or what under the door looks like, even the manufacturer of the door?
A home owner from Vancouver, BC, Canada says:
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the response. Attached are some pictures but it's too awkward to remove the door unless I have a fix for it. I have no idea of the manufacturer, make, model, etc. It's aluminum, very heavy (but only single glazing), and needs new rollers.
The two Track pics are front and behind the door. You can see the scrape marks from the door movement. The 'Roller housing' pics show the adjustable center part of the housing, the roller bearing is completely seized, and the subsequent wear on the brass housing is plainly visible. Although I found a replacement for this part, it's condition isn't much better, and the outer frame of the housing is now broken, and I'm not prepared or experienced enough to dismantle the bottom frame of the door to remove or replace the whole housing/roller.
Finally, my sketch (not to scale) of a cross section of the bottom frame, showing my proposed "fix". Plan to drill through both sides of the frame and insert a bolt or binding post (Chicago pin?) to hold the roller in place.
I suspect said binder post might not be strong enough, so maybe a bolt/nut for the axle?
Your turn....
Cheers,
Customer image of their patio sliding glass door hardware.
Jay
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
81-304 would be the axle to use with 81-225 wheel. The picture you sent is the inside part of a wheel assembly. I think it would save you time and aggravation by replacing the complete housing.
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.