Balance Identification

A home owner from Plymouth, Minnesota says:
I have a single hung window in my living room that does not stay open. I believe the cord is broken on one side of the window. The part says 33TGX with a 15-014 lock shoe. Could you tell me how easy it would be to replace these parts and how long to ship the above parts?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named webcam-4/14/2022, 6:16:51 PM.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 33TGX_Part.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Full_picture.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We can supply this balance, but it has to be a custom order since you have a plain style metal channel. 

Before we go any further, I'll need just a bit more information. To start, please tell me the length of the metal channel and the exact weight of the sash that it supports. I would also like to know how your balance connects to the window track at the top; it should be either a screw or a hook. Finally, how many did you need altogether? Our minimum purchase quantity is 2.

Thank you for sharing. One important question, do you think there would be an expert who can come and fix this sash for me?

Best,
Mohit Kale
Profile picture of Tom

I'm sure there is a professional in your area who would be happy to do just that. We don't provide that kind of service ourselves, unfortunately, but a local hardware store should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thank You.
Hi Tom,
- The length of the sash is 45inches wide X 35inches height for the sash. The length of the metal channel is approximately 33 3/4-34 inches
- There is a screw at the top that connects the balance to the window top
- The weight of the sash is not written on the balance. Is there any other way to determine what the weight can be?

How soon can i get these parts?

Best,
Mohit Kale
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks Mohit. The only way you can determine the weight of the sash is to remove it from the window frame and place it on a scale. Any common bathroom scale will do. Please make sure to be as precise as possible; we need to know the weight down to the ounce.

Would it also be possible to triple check the length of the metal channel? I need to know its exact length, too. A 34" long balance isn't a problem, but if it's 33-3/4" then that would actually be very detrimental to finding a replacement. It's very important that we know the actual size of this metal channel. Please let me know if you can get that for me.

Hi Tom,

Here are the exact numbers:

Weight of the Sash is 28.4 lbs

Channel length is exactly 34 inches.

Best,

Mohit

Profile picture of Tom

Perfect, thank you so much! This is a huge help.

So, what I can do for you is make an S770-34 plain channel balance but with the bottom clip swapped out for the 15-014 knife-lock shoe. We will also be using the 34D stamp, which is designed to carry 27 through 32 pounds. That should be more than sufficient to carry your sash weight.

I will email you a purchase link right now for two balances made to these specifications. If you wanted to change that quantity, or if you had any questions, please let me know. I'm happy to help with anything you may need.

Thank you, Tom. I have ordered from the link.
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.