Balance Replacement

A home owner from Blairsville, GA says:

There doesn't seem to be any identifying labels on the frame or glass. The plastic on the ends of two windows is broken. There is a third window that is ok that I can use as a model to restring the cord. There is a patent number on the plastic piece: 65737877

Thank you

John

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1323.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1322.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1319.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1318.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1320.jpeg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hi John,

Thanks for writing in! These appear to be a discontinued style balance that is no longer available. The good new is, we may be able to provide you with a suitable replacement.

To determine if there is an replacement we can provide, I'll need to see a photo of an undamaged balance removed from the window. I am specifically looking to see a photo of any attachments that may be on the balance or that could be connected to the bottom of the sash. Let me know if you have any questions.

I sent pictures of the good window, but am reluctant to remove the parts, because it is the only way I will know how they go back together.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1319.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1318.jpeg

Hi John,

I do understand the reluctance to remove the parts, however, I won't be able to identify the hardware you need without getting an idea of what the entire assembly looks like. 

You'll also need to have it removed to provide us with measurements so that we can ensure that you are getting the right parts.

The next best option is that I can make an educated guess but there are just way too many parts I could recommend for what you are currently showing in your photos. In the event I do not recommend the right replacements, you'll have removed the hardware from the window and will need to wait to get the correct ones, so we would end up back here at this point.

I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, however, there is no way around identifying your hardware without seeing an undamaged part removed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Here are the pictures you requested laid out in order and a final picture of a ruler along side.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1336.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1337.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1339.jpeg

Hello,

The photos do help to narrow down your replacement balance to our Series 795 Channel, however, they still do not provide the information I need to identify the exact specifications.

As requested, I need to see an undamaged balance. To confirm that these balances will be a situatable replacement, you'll need to obtain a few measurements from your existing balances. These include the length of the undamaged balance, the diameter of the balance channel/tube (which should be 1/2"), as well as the width of the bottom T-shaped attachment. It will either be 1" or 1-1/4" across the bottom of the T shape.

You will also need to obtain the exact weight of the window to select the correct stamp option.

Take a look at the video below for instructions on this balance conversion and the information you'll need to determine the correct balances. Let me know if you have any questions.

I sent the details of what I needed, but somehow it didn't make it to the discussion, so I will try again. The YouTube video was very helpful. The total length of the channel sashes is 24 1/2", so I will need (6) 24" 795 - T-Lock sashes for my three defective windows. The bottom of the "T" is 1", so I will need the 15-194. The pivot bars are most like the 26-021. The weight of the window is 13.4 lbs. I've included a picture of an intact sash. Thanks!!!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1348.jpeg

Okay, great! The part in the photo you've provided is referred to as a balance. The sash is the part of the window the balances support. Based on the information provided, I am confident that these are the correct replacement balances and compatible shoes.

You'll need to select the 24B stamp.

To confirm if the pivot bar is the correct replacement, you'll need to be sure to compare the dimensions to your existing hardware.

Alternate image for 26-021
Alternate image for 26-021

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.