Bifold Door Folding in - Hinges and Snuggers

A quick learner from USA says:
I am writing this note for your help and advice on resolving problems with bifold doors in an old home that I bought. I have 8 sets of doors with these problems. I don't know who made these door but they were probably built in the mid to late1970's. The house was built in 1977.

As best as I can describe the problems, the doors fold in at the joints where the hinges are. Please note bottom and top as well as folded in at center of each pair of doors.

They each have dual Sliding Snuggers, one for each pair of doors. At least one snugger has a Stanley name on it.The track that they ride in is about 7/8 in wide.

They also have three non-mortise hinges for each pair of doors.
Most of these have bent over time.

I would like to find a solution for all of these sets of doors.
Is the cause of these problems most likely the hinges or snuggers or something else?
Is it feasible to replace the slide snuggers with rollers and a single centered snugger?
Do you have any suggestions for better hinges?

I appreciate any advice and recommendations that you can provide.

Thank you .. Kevin
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0 (1).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0 (2).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

The top bifold door guides shown in your photos resemble our 23-130. Take a look and see how the specifications below compare to yours. 

As for the hinges, we would need to see a clear photo of your originals to compare to our inventory. I can't be sure of what the underlying problem is but if the hinges are damaged, that could be a possible cause.

Please note that we do not generally recommend trying to replace the original hardware with different parts, which could cause even more issues with the functionality of the doors. Thank you. 

Dimensions for 23-130
Dimensions for 23-130

Diagram of how the 23-130 snaps into the middle of the track.
Diagram of how the 23-130 snaps into the middle of the track.

Bi-fold Door Repairs
Bi-fold Door Repairs
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.