Block & Tackle Sash 23"

A home owner from Melbourne, Florida says:
Hello. I need replacement block & tackle sash for my Milestone single hung Series 1000 winodws. Need 04 of them in total. the metal piece is 23 inches overall length, 9/16 - 5/8 of an inch wide and 1/2 inch deep. The metal piece has a stamp indicating '22C' on it.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231211_152135.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231211_152157.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231211_152148.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231211_152227.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231211_152153.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out! Your balances are either the S380-23 with a 1" shoe or the S385-23 with a 1-3/32" shoe. To determine which series is needed for your window, look over the dimensions from the diagram below to confirm the depth of your bottom shoe. Keep in mind, there is a chance that it could measure 7/8". If so, please let me know as these will need to be a custom assembly.

For your 22C stamp, you should be able to select the 2230 stamp option. Although, you may want to confirm that your sash weight falls between 12 to 19lbs.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

Good morning, Jasmine. It looks like I have the 1" shoe, and the window weighs 13 lbs. I will need 04 of these. Also, I need to buy spiral balances for one of my other windows,they are 3/8" x 30". I will need 02 of them.

Okay, great! It sounds like you have the S380-23. You'll be able to make your purchase online by adding the item to the cart, using the links provided.

In regard to the spiral balances, can you confirm if they are for a tilt window or a non-tilt window? Also, is the a colored tip on the end of the balance?

The spiral balances are for a tilt-in window, but I'm not seeing any color on them. They were installed in the house upon construction in 1998 if that helps.

Okay, great! That helps to narrow down the possible replacement recommendations a great deal. Your spiral balances are either the 5/8" Series 600 Spiral Balance (which can also read 9/16") or the 3/8" Series 900 Spiral Balance. To determine which series you have, you'll need to confirm the diameter of the tube. The next step would be to confirm the length.

Since your balances do not have a colored tip, you'll need to obtain the exact weight of the sash to determine which color option you'll need to purchase.

It would also be a good idea to double check the pivot shoe and the pivot bar to see if they'll need to be replaced. If so, I'll need to see a photo of both pieces of hardware removed.

These spiral balances don't have a color tip, but they are 3/8" x 30". The window (sash?) weighs 20lbs. I took pics of the pivot shoes and pivot bars in place as I have to put the window back in overnight. I would just go ahead and buy new ones.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231214_092406.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231214_092435.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231214_092236.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231214_092015.jpg

The balances you have are the S900-30 spiral balances. For your 20lb sash, you can use either the red tip or the green tip option.

In regard to the pivot shoe, yours appears to be the 15-045 and the pivot bar looks like it could possibly be the 26-041. Although, you'll need to remove them to confirm the measurements are correct and that they are the right replacements for your repairs.

Dimensions for 15-045
Dimensions for 15-045

Alternate image for 26-041
Alternate image for 26-041

How to identify a replacement spiral balance
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-045 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.