Replacement for Crossbow Balance

A handy person from Gaithersburg, MD says:
Hello. Would you be able to guide me to replacing these balances? Please let me know if you need better pictures.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8794.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8793.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8792.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8791.jpeg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out! Your balances appear to be the discontinued crossbow style balance. The good news is that they can potentially be converted to our Series 795 Channel Balances.

To confirm that they will be a situatable replacement, you'll need to obtain a few measurements from your existing balances in addition to the length of the balances. You'll need to double check the diameter of the balance spring/channel. This measurement should be 1/2"; but let me know if it is 3/8" as this will need to be a custom assembly. Please also confirm the width of the bottom T-shaped attachment (it will either be 1" or 1-1/4" across the bottom of the T shape) as well as the exact weight of each window. We'll need this to select the correct stamp option.

Take a look at the video below for instructions on this balance conversion and the information you'll need to determine the correct balances. Let me know if you have any questions.

A handy person from Gaithersburg, MD says:
Thanks for following up. I have most of the information needed. All of the balances were broken when I went to measure them. I saw something online that said I can use the measurement from the moving sash instead. If that is true, I can give the information. I have six windows that are the same and one smaller one. The larger window is 18.3 lbs the glass is 31 1/8" tall. The smaller window is 16.7 lbs and 29 1/8" tall. The t attachment is 1". The channel diameter is 1/2". Thanks again for your help.
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Yes, you are correct, we can use the height of the glass to attempt to determine the length of the balance. Although, I cannot make any guarantees.

With that said, based on the dimensions for the height of the visible glass and the sash weight, we believe the 31-1/8" sash weighing 18.3 lbs. will use S795-34 with a 34B stamp for a sash weighing between 16-22 lbs. 

For the 29-1/8" sash weighing 16.7 lbs., you can use the S795-32 with a 32B stamp for a sash weighing between 14-20 lbs.

Since your has a 1" T shape, you'll need the 15-194 T-Lock Balance shoe. Our balances come equipped with a 1-1/4" shoe but you'll be able to swap them out. Take a look at the video below for reference.

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.