Broken Tilt Window Pivot Lock Shoe

A home owner from Middleton, Idaho says:

I haven't found any markings on this part, and I did look for it in your catalog, but didn't find quite the right part. 

The Windows are by ALUMAX, and were installed in 1997. Needless to say, the warranty is out-of-date. I have tried several window companies and they refuse to try to locate parts and insist on installing new windows. There is nothing wrong with the window or the sashes, and I'm totally infuriated that these companies think that because I happen to be in my 70s, I'm gullible enough to buy into their schemes. I know a replacement window is several hundred $$ and a pivot lock shoe is going to be less than $10.

The part measures: Height-2inches. Width-1 1/2 , Depth-17/32. I'm not sure what the part above it is, but that is also broken.Any help would be most appreciated, especially to foil those window companies.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named broken pivot cam
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named yellowed out pivot shoe
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for contacting us. I'm sorry to hear of your frustration. If the pivot shoe is the only part that's broken and can be replaced then there's no need to get a whole new window. 

I'm afraid we don't sell a pivot shoe with the specifications noted here though. Can you remove an undamaged version from the window and show us some photos? We'd also like you to double-check the thickness and width just to be safe. Admittedly, it can be tough to get accurate dimensions when the hardware is still in the window track. 

Let us know what you find and we can work from there. 

A home owner from Middleton,Idaho says:
I have the broken part out already. Would it be possible to send you the part and let you identify it? I'm recovering from cataract surgery on both eyes, so until I get new glasses and can actually see what I'm doing I hesitate to attempt to remove the other pivot shoe. I do have the video already in my favorites, which is how I got the broken part out. 7 I also have the window covered in plastic and need to wait until it warms up here a bit more. I'm not in any big hurry in any case :).
Thank you for your earlier response BTW.
Margie H.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

After a closer look at your photos, I think we might be able to work with what you show here. The company that made your pivot shoe and balance springs went out of business at the turn of the century. From the dimensions you've given, our 15-015 pivot shoe should do fine. Whenever you get the chance to recheck, you will find that the width should be 1-1/4". 

Dimensions for 15-015
Dimensions for 15-015

I am in my 70s myself and have come across situations with salespeople like you described in your initial post so I can empathize with your frustration. I too had cataracts removed and my eyesight recovered greatly. I wish you the best of luck! 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.