Broken black channel balance blocker

A quick learner from Los Angeles says:
Hi, I'm looking for a replacement piece for this black plastic piece that screws into the top of the channel of our window. It seems to be the piece that keeps the channel balance from going beyond the top of the window.

Thank you!
Vickie
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9512.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9513.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, Vickie.

The part in your photos is called a top sash guide. I recommend you have a look at the ones we've related for you on this page. Review their specifications and see how they compare with yours.

Thank you so much. I think I know which one to get, but could I confirm it with you guys?

So appreciate all your help,
vickie
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2248.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2249.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2250.jpg

Oh and by the way, I asked someone from your Help department for this one and he recommended I add this to my discussion.

How can we maximize the longevity of our channel balances? We have had to replace the channel balances in several of our windows--averaging about once a year. The string is what always breaks and usually only on one side. After I change out the balances (I usually switch out both sides if one breaks), the window works smoothly for several months to about 1/2 a year. 

Then gradually it seems like the tension starts to build and the windows start to require a bit more force to close. Usually shimming it up and down seems to help, and occasionally I'll take the windows out to inspect no dust or things have gotten caught. They usually look fine and work well for a few more months after doing this. Sometimes I'll add some wd-40 to the spring, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Unfortunately, I don't have the original balances for one of the windows as I replaced them back in 2017. I was able to find some photos from back then when I first found Swisco, and you guys help me get new parts. Images 1-6 are of those balances from 2017. I believe this window is about 10lbs. This window's balance's strings broke again in 2022 and again a couple months ago. Each time, it has been the strings that fail. There is a second window that weighs about 20lbs. I replaced those sashes back in 2022. Photos are IMG_2251 and 2252. I realize these sashes may be over-weighted now for the 20lbs window. Could this be why this particular window is hard to close? Any help with figuring out what I may be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EinsteinProperties 2.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image3.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image6.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image4.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image1.JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid we can't get accurate dimensions from photos. You'll have to use your best judgment and compare the specifications to determine the best match.

It is very odd that your balances are breaking so frequently. We believe the culprit could be the wrong size, the wrong spring strength, or the wrong Series. Are the balances shown here the originals? Can you also write out the visible glass height for the window sash? That will help us determine the proper balance length. 

As for the spring strength, the 2130 stamp is calibrated for a sash weighing 12 to 15 pounds which is too weak for your window sash if it weighs 20 pounds. Assuming this balance is original to the window and is the proper length then you'd actually want the 2140 option. A pair of balances with this option will support a sash weighing 15 to 23 pounds.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.