Broken windows

A handy person from Raleigh, NC says:
Hi Folks,

Can you help me identify the replacement parts needed for this type of window?

Thanks.
Larry
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3743.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3742.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3741.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3740.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, Larry.

This is a rod-type balance that isn't made anymore but we can still help. Can you show us a photo of the shoe? It may still be installed in the window track. 

Hi Emily,

Thanks for the reply. I believe the shoe is 1.25".

Thanks, Larry
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3744.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

Perfect! Thanks so much for getting that for me. Is the spring diameter 1/2"? If it is, I recommend watching the video below. It will show you how to replace your old balances with our Series 795.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi Emily,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, my springs are 1/2".

The installed balances do not have a screw hole at the top for mounting. They have a clip, so I guess I'll need a couple of 26-200 balance screw plugs. Are they included, or do I need to purchase them separately? Picture of top clip included.

I see from the product description that new shoes are included in the replacement balance, the 15-195. Is this shoe compatible with the existing pivot bars? I am including a picture of the pivot bar mounting screws and a picture of the bar itself as it protrudes from the window frame.

For my own education, what is the difference between the open and closed cam shoes. I have looked at the pictures, but I don't see the difference.

Thanks?
Larry
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3764.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3797.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3799.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

The 26-200 aren't included so you'll have to purchase them separately. Your old pivot bar won't be compatible with the new balances, so it must be replaced as well. You'll need either the 26-021 or 26-366 depending on the specifications of your old one; compare our parts with your old pivot bar to see which one matches up best.

The difference between an open and closed-cam shoe is that the back wall of the shoe is closed off and can't be seen through. With an open-cam shoe, you're able to see through the back wall. 

Alternate view of 15-195
Alternate view of 15-195

Alternate view of 15-195B
Alternate view of 15-195B

Hi Emily,

I ordered some 26-366 pivot bars. The screw holes lined up perfectly, but the bar did not extend far enough into the channel to mate well with the balance. I took a quick look but I didn't see anything that was comparable to the 26-366, but just a bit longer. Do you have such a thing?

Thanks.
Larry
Profile picture of Emily

Hey Larry! There used to be a version of this pivot bar with a longer tip but it hasn't been made in a long while. There's no direct replacement for it, unfortunately. 

However, the 26-366 can still be used as a substitute though it will take some handiwork. You'd have to drill new holes so that the new pivot bar can be mounted a little more forward, to make up for the difference. I know that's not ideal but it's the best we can offer. I truly apologize for any inconvenience. 

A handy person from Raleigh says:
Hi Emily,

I ordered a pair of 26-442 - Truth Tilt Latches and I have a question about mounting. The part that is being replaced had a plastic tab at the end to keep it from sliding out of the frame. The 26-442 doesn't have that and it appears that it is designed to be fixed in place using a single screw. Is that correct and if so, what type of screw is recommended? There appears to be very little clearance between the bottom of the sliding part and the top of the screw. Do you have any guidance on how these latches should be secured?

Thanks, Larry
Profile picture of Emily

Would it be possible for me to see a few photos of your old tilt latch? An undamaged version removed from the window would be ideal. We just want to confirm what the original hardware looks like. If the 26-442 isn't what your window used originally, it likely won't work to replace it unfortunately. 

How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.