Carlton France Peachtree Sliding door

A quick learner says:
I am trying to purchase a locking system to replace the existing door handle which currently has no key locking mechanism.

On your website it appears to be part no. 82-306 Exterior Sliding Door Pull.

Questions;

1. In the description of how to install this door Lock it has steps 1-3. In step 3 there are steps A-E.
In step 3 it includes info for drilling a 5/8" hole.
I need clarification on exactly what this entails. There are no videos to clarify this step.

I do not believe I need the Mortise lock because as you can see by the pictures? there is no place to install the mortise lock. The existing mechanism is fine. I just want to install a key locking mechanism so this door can be opened from the outside of our home.
Please contact me as soon as possible as this is a time sensitive project.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image3 (63).jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image4 (39).jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image2 - 2023-12-13T104751.966.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image0 - 2023-12-13T104749.996.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image1 - 2023-12-13T104748.012.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Thanks for reaching out. I agree with your assessment, our 82-306 keyed exterior pull should be fully compatible with your existing interior handle. You're also correct when you say that you don't need a mortise. Your handle actually already has a mortise built into it; that's what the hook is. This feature is also key to understanding Step 3 of our instructions.

The latch that's currently built into your interior handle has a slot in it that accepts the key tail. If you were to remove the handle and check the underside, you will see it. The goal of Step 3 is to cut a hole in your door to allow the key tail to reach all the way through your door and plug into that slot. There's nothing more to it than that.

The hole needs to be 5/8" in diameter because the key lock body itself sticks into the door slightly, so you need the room to allow that. Otherwise you just have to make sure that the key lock tail aligns with that slot I mentioned.

We unfortunately don't have a video on how this is done. If you're uncomfortable making that kind of alteration to the door, you may want to consider hiring a professional to come out and do it for you.

Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
How to install a key lock in the 82-306 Keyed Exterior Sliding Door Pull
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.