Channel Balance

A handy person from Jersey City, New Jersey says:
Hi!

I have 9 old windows (I believe they are originally from the early 1990s. That require all new channel balancers. I need to replace 18 channel balancers, but I would like to purchase 20 so I have an extra set. Provided are photos that hopefully help with identification. Note that the overall rough length of each is 34 inches.

Length: 24.00 inches (tip to tip)
Model: 34B BSI

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8503.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8505.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8504.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8503.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8504.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

It looks like you have either our S351, with a 15-002 bottom attachment, or S390, with a 15-001 bottom attachment. Take a look at the image below to determine which balance you'll need. With that being said, you referred to the balance length as both 34" and 24". Based on the 34B BSI stamp that you included, the metal channel length of these types of balances would generally be 35", not including the end fittings. I would recommend double-checking your length measurement to confirm the correct replacement. If your balance channels are 35" long, you'll also need 3420 spring strength options for your replacement balances. Thank you!

Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.

Hello Casey,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. You are absolutely correct, I mismatched the measurements. If I measure only the metal channel length without the ends, it is 35 inches.

As for the end piece (the "boot") it appears to be 1-1/8" wide. So that would mean I am looking for the S390 with the 15-001, and the 3420 spring strength option
Profile picture of Casey

Great, I agree that you would need the S390-35 channel balances with 3420 strength options. You are welcome to order them directly on our website or by giving our customer service department a call at (888) 991-1929. 

Thank you again Casey. I just placed an order online via the website.

This was most helpful, I appreciate the assistance.
Profile picture of Casey

I'm glad that we were able to help! Just let us know if you need anything else. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.