28-F-60 Channel Balance

A quick learner from Sarasota FL says:
We have a house built in 2010 in Sarasota FL. One of the channel balances on a window is broken. The metal part of the channel balance is 29". Printed on the channel balance are the words 01/10 Unique 28-F-60. A sticker at the top of the inside of the window frame says: "Keystone Certification Program.." and "Car # 279-170 Model 1000 SH Rating H-L C45 1349v1600 (53x63")". When we googled Car #279-170, your site came up with a specific 29" channel balance. We believe your part number S380-29 option 2865 and your part number 18-018 are what we need. Can you confirm. Also, there is a small plastic part depicted in one of our pictures that screws into the window itself and this part is shown in one of our pictures. Do you have such a part?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240128_103142.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240128_103208.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240128_104244.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Yes, this is very likely an S380-29 Channel Balance. The only other possibility would be the S385-29, which is very similar except the depth of the bottom nylon shoe is different. See the illustration below to see what I mean. Measure the depth of your old balance's shoe just to confirm what matches best.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

As far as the stamp option goes, the stamp on your old balance leads me to believe you need a stamp of 2860, which would support a window sash in the weight range of 32 through 35 pounds. The stamp option 2865 will work with sashes that weigh 35 through 39 pounds. You always want the window sash to fall within the proscribed weight range of whatever stamp option you go with, so if you're uncertain, weigh the window sash to be safe. 

Finally, I'm afraid I don't recognize the plastic piece you show; could you show us where it installs onto the window? That might give us a clue as to what you need. Many thanks. 

A quick learner from Sarasota FL says:
Thanks for getting back to me. We measured our channel balance and it is 9/16 channel width and one-half inch channel depth. Our nylon shoe at the bottom is 1" or a miniscule amount less. Can you confirm that your S380 should work? Along with your 18-018 5/8 inch sash guide? Please advise. Also with regard to weight, you indicate above that the stamped markings on our existing channel balance indicate a sash weight of 32-35 pounds. When my husband measured his body weight on our home scale and then measured his weight holding the sash, the difference was 36 pounds so we are unsure what to order. Should we order for the range 35 to 39 or should we order 32 to 35. Not sure how exactly accurate our at home weight scale is and given what is stamped on our existing channel balance we are thinking we should order 32 to 35. Is it extremely important this be exactly correct? Thank you in advance for your help.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for verifying! Based on the shoe size, I think our S380-29 is going to be your best bet. The fact that the shoe is a hair smaller than 1" is normal, since the nylon tends to wear down over time.

The 18-018 top sash guide is frequently compatible with the S380-29, but there are dozens and dozens of other guides that can say the same. There's no way to guarantee the top sash guide based on the balance alone. You will need to remove the other and compare it to the dimensions and design of our part to verify. If it differs, you can submit a few photos here for me to review.

Lastly, for weight, that's a tricky question. You're right to be concerned as you want the strength option to be as close to precise as you can mange. These can be sensitive systems.

In these cases I like to try to cut to the heart of the matter. has your 28-F-60 option been working fine for all these years without issue? If so, I personally don't see the harm in sticking with it. 36 pounds is a little off from the maximum range of this stamp, but if it's been fine for this long then I see no reason to change.

Alternatively, if you've always found this window to be a little difficult or stiff to open, then this may be the reason why. In that scenario, using the 2865 option instead might be beneficial.

Hopefully that insight helps you come to a decision. I'm happy to answer anything else you may need, just let me know.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.