Broken Balance/Pennco Inc. WIndow

A quick learner from Kentucky says:
Hi! I have a window spiral balance needing repair. I took some pictures but they may not show what you need. The left side shows that the cable is not attached. When I attach it and have the bottom sash removed, the cable pulls the hook up. The right side is still currently hooked and never came loose but is not sliding up like that. Sorry, that may be confusing!

I have a Pennco Inc. window and found where you all may be compatible for this older molder window.

Thanks,

Amber
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel Balance Cover
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance Cover
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Shoe & Hook
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel Balance Shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Heavy Duty Hook
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in! The balance shoe and the hook you have here appear to be the 15-105 Pivot Shoe and the 62-105 Heavy Duty Pointed Hook. To confirm that this the right shoe, you'll need to carefully compare the dimensions.

This shoe and hook are typically used along with a custom Series 770 Channel Balance. Although, your balances appear to be concealed by a channel balance cover. To identify the right replacement for your balances, I will need to know the length of the metal channel as well as the stamp from the balance. The stamp is used to determine the weight range the balances need to be able to carry to support the weight of the sash.

Since these will need to be a custom assembly, I'll need to know the exact number of balances you intend to purchase. There is an order minimum of (2) balances per custom order.

Take a look at the tutorial below that shows details on how to remove a tilt window channel balance.

Thank you!

If I remove the broken channel balances to identify which parts are needed, will we be able to put the window back together and be sealed until those parts come in? I'm afraid to take out the channel balances and then have my window open/unsealed while waiting for the new ones.

Also, do you know how to remove our plastic cover that you mentioned?

We would need two balance channels. Plus the other parts you mentioned probably. Do you know how long processing and shipping would take?

Amber

Yes, you can still reinstall the sash once the balances are removed, you just won't be able to open the window since there will be nothing there to support the weight. 

As for the balance cover, most can be removed using something like a putty knife to pop it out of the channel. Just be careful not to apply too much pressure that could damage the cover.

The lead time for your balances will depend on the specifications that you need. Once we confirm the length and stamp code of your original balances, we'll be able to send over an order link with pricing and your delivery options will be calculated at checkout. 

Thank you! The pivot shoe we have looks just very slightly different but measurements appear to be the same. It is still currently in the window so it was difficult to measure though. It looks like it may be an updated version but a comparable model. I will send a clearer photo. Also, after looking more, the channels and hooks appear to be working fine. I believe it is just the worn/broken pivots shoes causing the window to not hold up.

Amber
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance Pivot Shoe

Hi Amber,

Thanks for the photo. I do agree, your shoe appears to be closer in design to the 15-208 Pivot Lock Shoe. Again, to confirm that this is the right replacement, you'll need to remove the shoe and compare the dimensions and design below.

Alternate image for 15-208
Alternate image for 15-208

The shoe is meant to help anchor the balance in the window channel and allows to the string to extend from and retract into the pulley system in the balance. Since it is extended from the balance and the pivot shoe is not locked in place by the break, that leads me to believe the balance may need to be replaced. I would suggest double checking the balance to be sure.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.