Channel Balance and parts

A home owner from Connecticut says:
Only markings are NTT 24D. The windows may or may not be Cardinal. I need new channel balance and the pivot bar shoe. Some other windows the channel is functioning but one of the shoes has broken. Thank you
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0234.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0233.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0235.jpeg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, 

Thanks for reaching out! The company that made your balance system went out of business at the turn of the century. However, we believe you can substitute our Series 795-24 with a 24D stamp option. This option can hold a sash weight between 22-25 lbs. You'll want to double check this to be sure this is the right option.

You will need to order the 15-194, 1" wide T-Lock shoe as our balances are standardly assembled with the 1-1/4" T-Lock Shoe. Take a look at the video below for instructions on how to swap out these shoes.

We see you have a balance hook that clips at the top of the window in a notched hole. If the hole is square in shape, it should be able to accept the 26-200 Balance Screw Plug and with #33-090 screw. If it it any other shape please let me know as this will need to be custom assembly. The good news is we can attach the hook here in our warehouse. Take a look at the video below for an idea of what the screw plug does.

A home owner from Connecticut says:
Jasmine,

Thank you for the quick response. How do I know the sash weight of a window? Also what does the "D" stand for in 24D?

I previously ordered 26-402 - Side Mount Pivot Bar as a replacement for some of the original parts. I have yet to receive them so I don't know if they will work in the existing shoes, but I think they should. Will those shoes also work in the shoes you suggested as replacements?

As for the balance hook clip, it simply goes over the window sleeve insert (not sure what to call it). When I take out the windows the entire liner comes out which allows me to access the balance. The clip simply goes over the very top of it instead of a cut out hole. So I would need to have the clips on the new balances.

Separately I have another window with NTT 16C balances that are broken. What model would you recommend replacing those with?

Thank you,
Hunter
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

The D in the stamp is just how the manufacturer labels the balances to indicate the difference the between the weight ranges each balance stamp option can carry. As explained, the 24D can hold a sash weight of 22 to 25lbs. You'll need to physically weigh the sash to be able to determine the weight range you balances will need to be able to carry to support the weight of your sash.

If the balances marked with the 16C looks anything like the balances that were previously identified, then it is likely that you'll need the S795-16. However, if the balances look any different, I'll need to see photos of them removed from the window, as well as any compatible attachments. The stamp on helps to indicate the weight range the balances can carry.

Since these will need to be a custom order, I'll need to know the exact number of balances you intend to purchase. There is an order minimum of (2) balances per custom balance type.

In regard to the pivot bars, to be able to determine if the 26-402 is the correct replacement, I'll need to see a photo of the existing pivot bar removed from the window. These are not typically used with the T-Lock shoes on our Series 795 Balances.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.