Channel Window Balances

A home owner from Harlem, NYC 10031 says:
Hi, I need to replace my window balances. It would be great if you could confirm which Channel Balance I need. My windows are terrible - Champion - and the balances have no markings. I'm including photos of both sets as the smaller one no longer has the cord attached.
One set of balances measures 32" and the other is 43". I just spoke to one of your representatives and she said that the 43" is a special order. So I will need to do that once you've confirmed what I need.
I weighed the windows and the larger window weighs 23-28 lbs and the smaller one weighs 16-23 lbs
Thanks for your help! Josephine
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0681.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0680.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0674.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

It looks like you have either our S351, with a 15-002 bottom attachment, or S390, with a 15-001 bottom attachment. Take a look at the image below to determine which balance you'll need. 

If the original balances have no stamp codes on the metal channel, we would need to know the exact weight of the window sashes, especially for the 43" balances since they will need to be custom ordered. Once we confirm the shoe depth and the exact sash weights down to the ounce, we'll need to know the number of 43" balances that you need with the minimum being two. Thank you!

Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.

Thanks so much - I'm so glad I asked as I had placed a different model in my cart for the smaller window. I will go ahead and place that order separately.

We think it's the S390 with the 15-001 bottom attachment.
The exact weight of the window is 25 lbs 8 oz.
I will need 4 x 43" balances.
Profile picture of Casey

Great, we just sent over an order link and price quote for the 43" long balances you requested. Take a look and let us know if you need anything else. Thanks for posting. 

Please resend this quote for 2 balances Instead of 4. Customer called in as she decided she only wants 2.
Profile picture of Casey

No problem, we just sent over an updated order link for two balances. 

Hi, it turns out that we also need a top sash guide for the window with 43" balance we special ordered. We aren't sure which one to get on your website. My friend thinks that it is the Traco Top Sash Guide 1-1/16" but our window isn't a Traco. We think that we need a left and a right one one has completely deteriorated and the other is in bad shape.
I've tried to work it out by looking at the top sash guides related to the S390 balance but I'm just not sure.
I hope you can see what I'm referring to in the photo I'm uploading.
Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named SmartSelect_20230823_151106_Gallery.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

What I can make out in your photo actually reminds me of the 18-120L shown below. We also offer the 18-120R opposite-handed version. You would need to remove an undamaged top sash guide from the sash to confirm that the dimensions match up to your part. 

Alternate image for 18-120
Alternate image for 18-120

Alternate view of 18-120
Alternate view of 18-120

Thanks so much - you are very helpful.
I forgot to ask you one more thing. I ordered the wrong type of sash stops: 59-001 - Sash Stop.

The type I need look like the one in this photo. 1.5" x 3 3/16". Not sure if the length matters. Do you have something similar?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3099D182-3A04-4920-BE76-5288CAED9CD0_1_105_c.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey

The only sash stop we carry that is similar to yours is the 55-043, which only measures 1" wide. I'm sorry that we won't be able to offer a closer match but please let us know if you have any other hardware questions. 

Profile view of 55-043
Profile view of 55-043

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace the Keller Series 303 Window Balances
How to replace the Keller Series 303 Window Balances
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.