Channel balance

A quick learner from Orlando says:
I have 25 year old single hung tilt windows and am looking for the most economical/long-term part recommendations for replacing the following (pictures are attached):
1/2" deep and 1/2" wide plain channel balance (will be replacing screw in)
1/2" deep and 1" wide pivot shoe
If needed, pivot feet/bar replacements for the new shoes
Any other parts

Thank you,

Steve
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Plastic Terminal Clip
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel Balance Width
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sash Pivot Bar
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Shoe Width
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Side of Pivot Shoe

Also, would you happen to carry these as well (pictures attached). Both pieces are plastic.

A piece that wedges between the top of the channel balance and top of the window frame - 1" wide x 2" tall x 7/8" deep

An L-shaped part (white finish) that covers the channel balance - 1/2" x 5/8"

Thank you,

Steve

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance Cover Installed
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel Balance Cover
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for reaching out! Your channel balance appears to be an older version of our Series 770 Channel Balance which features the 15-043 Terminal Clip made with a metal material. The clip on the bottom of your balance is plastic however, our will still function in the say way that your existing balance does.

To identify the correct balance, I'll need to know the length of the metal channel as well as the exact weight of the sash. The stamp is used to determine the weight range the balance should be able to carry to support the weight of the sash. Unfortunately, I am not able to cross-reference the 1550 stamp from your balance with those on our Series 770 Balances.

The pivot shoe appears similar in style to either the  15-167 or the 15-179. To confirm which of these is the right fit for your window, you'll need to carefully review and compare the dimensions from each of them.

Alternate image for 15-167
Alternate image for 15-167

Alternate image for 15-179
Alternate image for 15-179

You will need to use a new pivot bar as your existing pivot bar would not be compatible with this shoe. Take a look at the 26-021. Carefully compare the dimensions for both the shoe and the pivot bar to confirm that these are the right fit. So long as one of the installation hole placements matches the one on the bottom of the sash, this pivot bar should work fine.

Alternate image for 26-021
Alternate image for 26-021

I'm sorry to say that we do not sell any balance covers, unfortunately. You'll need to contact a local window repair shop to inquire about where you might be able to find them in your area. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Thank you for the detailed info. Regarding your question (To identify the correct balance, I'll need to know the length of the metal channel as well as the exact weight of the sash): the length is 15" inches and the stamp is "B".
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

I'm happy to help and thanks for confirming this information! Although, I'll still need to know the sash weight. While there is a B in the stamp, unfortunately, it does not help to cross-reference the exact stamp you need. Especially given that the stamp is showing as a 1550 B stamp.

The balance you need is the S770-15. The 15B stamp on that balance can only support a sash weighing 7 to 10lbs. In my experience the 1550 stamp indicates that the sash could be a bit heavier than that given weight range.

If you are confident that you window falls between that weight range, then you should be good to go. However, I would strongly suggest double checking the sash weight.

If the balance is not strong enough to hold the weight of the sash, it can cause the sash to either drop or slam down.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.