Coil is torn on one side

A quick learner from tampa says:
Hi, I ordered a set of S210-20 from your website to replace on my window where one of the existing ones has a tear on the metal coil that can be seen in the second photo just at the top of the part. I have a few questions. Is this the correct replacement part? Do both the top and bottom coil ribbon attach to the clip? I ask as it would appear the existing ones may only have one ribbon attached so that has me confused. Are there any videos that show how to cut the jamb for this particular type of roller? All the videos I can find are for different or smaller parts and I feel this is different enough that those videos don't exactly cover what I need for this replacement. It would seem it needs a larger cutout and also on both sides of the jamb. Do the jamb spreaders offer a safer more foolproof way despite their price? Can the window get damaged using spreaders?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named no cutout.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Roller.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tear.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top clip.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help but we can't be sure if the S210 would be the correct replacement for your coil balance with the hardware still installed. We would need to start by seeing your assembly removed from the window and confirming that your dimensions match the image shown below. You are correct that both coil springs would generally connect to the top mounting bracket. It's possible that one of your coils may have broken and snapped back into the housing but you won't know for sure until the hardware is removed. 

Alternate image for S210-20
Alternate image for S210-20

We'll also relate our video showing the cutout method recommended for these types of repairs. There si no special trick to removing a larger coil assembly like yours. Once the cutout is made, the entire part should come out from the top as one piece, which can take some patience and elbow grease. Though your coil balance is a different style than the one featured in our video, the 

We do offer the 75-069 jamb spreaders but we only recommend them for professionals that often do these types of repairs. In addition to being quite expensive and not being able to be returned, they can also cause damage to the window jamb if used incorrectly. 

A quick learner from tampa says:
Hi, thanks for the reply. I had a professional come out to do the repair in the end. It turns out the plastic clip was broken and one of the coils had got back into the housing. Also confirming the S210 is indeed the correct part as I compared it directly to the one the repairman brought with him and it was identical. Lastly, he used a heat gun and had it out in just a matter of minutes. You can't even tell anything was done to the window and even better, no cutout. I asked him about the spreaders and he said they've tried them but have broken/damaged the windows more that way so they don't use them. In any case, my window is working properly now!
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for letting us know how your repair worked out! We'll be here if you have any other hardware questions down the line. 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.