Coil issue?

A handy person from Murrells inlet says:
Coil has number 8 stamped on it. All parts seem operable but window is still falling. I'm assuming coil has failed. Can you tell me which coil I'll need for replacement? Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named S190 Coil Balance 8
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Balance Assembly
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Bushing & Shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance Detent Clip
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Thanks for writing in! Your coil balance shoe looks a lot like the 15-180 Coil Balance Shoe. To confirm that this is the right replacement, carefully review and compare the dimensions shown below.

Alternate image for 15-180
Alternate image for 15-180

The coil spring compatible with this balance is the Series 190 Coil Balance. Since yours is stamped with an 8, you'll need the S190-840. This spring is secured to the balance shoe using the 33-073 screw, the 15-182 Balance Bushing, and 15-186 Coil Balance Clip.

Thanks for your help Jasmine. I just replaced the coils, they fit perfectly. Unfortunately window is still sliding down just not as quickly. I weighed the window (26lbs.) I only see a 9lb coil is that what I should try next?

I'm happy to help!  Given the 26lb sash weight, you'll need spring strength of 13lbs on each side of the sash. Since you've already purchased the 8lb coil, you'll just need to purchase the 5lb coil, part S190-540

This means that you'll also need the 15-181 Double Support Detent Clip and two more of the 15-182  Balance Bushings. Keeper in mind, your window is likely only set up to use the single clip, so you'll need to make a new installation hole to properly install it.

Please don't hesitate to reach our with any questions.

So both coils screw into same hole on my existing coil balance shoe? If so, do I crimp coil for easier install?

The coils would install to the opposite side of the shoe. There are installation holes in the shoe where the coils can be secured using the 33-073 Truss Head Stainless Steel Phillips Screw. Once you've installed the first coil, you'll need to the attach the second coil to the shoe and pull it over the first coil.

I hope this helps!

I appreciate your help and timely response!

I'm happy to help! Again, please don't hesitate to reach out with any other questions you might have.

Have a great day!

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.