Coil size

A quick learner from London says:
Hi
Not sure if I need 6 or 9 strength coils
With the hole at the bottom it reads 6 but the shoe had 18 marked on it
I'm in the UK and coil springs are pretty unusual over here only seen a few in 20 years but want to attempt this repair,from your site they look like s152 coils
Thanks greg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Cover
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Mounting screw
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We do not have an exact match for the shoe you have here however, there is a chance that our 15-199 could work as a replacement for you. Compare the dimensions to your existing shoe to determine if this is the right fit.

As for the coil springs, the 17/32" thick 15-199 is compatible with either the 1/2" thick S160 coil spring or the 3/8" thick S165 coil spring. To determine which series you need, you'll need to confirm the thickness of your coil spring.

Alternate view of 15-199
Alternate view of 15-199

If you are unsure if your coils require 6 or 9-pound options, I'd recommend confirming the exact weight of your window, which we can use to determine the strength options needed once we know the coil thickness. Thank you! 

A contractor from London says:

Hi

Can you help with this coil shoe

It's for a 3 coil set up weight 19

Shoe marked 550

1 1/4 wide (32mm)

9/16 deep. (14mm)

1 5/8 tall (41mm)

I need to replace coils on both sides and both shoes that are slipping and no longer lock

Coils are s152 4,6 and 9

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Shoe side
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Metal cam
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Shoe side 2
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Shoe back
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot shoe
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

As we mentioned, unforutnately, we do not carry an exact match for your pivot shoe. The 15-199 and associated parts we mentioned in our original response would be our best replacement option. With that being said, you shoe being slightly thicker may or may not be an issue. Since ours is slightly smaller at 17/32" thick, it will install in your window jamb but could cause the shoe not to lock in place properly but it may be fine since the difference is so slight. 

As for the coil springs, you would go with the S160 if your original coils match the 1/2" thickness of the S152 coils. For 4, 6, and 9 stamped coils, see the S160-04, S160-06, and S160-09. For a 19-pound sash, I would generally recommend using two S160-04 or two S160-09 on each side. 

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.