Coil spring

A quick learner from Greensboro nc says:
Hi, there were no markings at all. I measured the coil, not a great ruler, but that's what I had. Thank you
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230324_152259.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230324_152235.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230327_110438.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

Our 15-087 pivot shoe looks like a match for the part shown in these photos. The Series 180 (sold separately) would be the compatible coil springs. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions regarding these parts. 

Hi Emily,
I think the pivot shoe and coil were wrong when they installed them. There were 15 windows originally installed. The last 2 windows were installed years later. I weighed the sash and it was 19.6 lbs. There is no markings on the coil or the housing so I think it was wrong to begin with. Any ideas?
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

With a 19.6-pound sash, you could use (2) S180-5 5-pound coil springs on each side of the window which would total 20 pounds of overall support. You would also need the 15-086 tandem coil housing for this setup. 

Are you saying that you don't think the 15-087 is original to your windows? If that's the case, you may want to check some identical windows in the house to confirm. 

Hi again, the shoes are original, we just don't know if they were the right ones installed originally. The 2 windows were installed much later on and they won't match the other 15 windows in the house. Will that tandem housing fir in the track? It looks wider and I had to cut an exit for the one I sent a pic. Your video on how to do that was helpful. Thank you Emily.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Emily isn't here today, but I will do my best to advise you.

At this stage, it's not possible to judge whether or not your old assembly was meant to install in this window. It's entirely possible that the installers put in the wrong parts, but that's not something I can really determine. is there a reason why you think it's wrong? Is there a particular point of failure that indicates it's not supposed to be on your window?

Right now, based solely on your photos, the hardware Emily recommended is the best replacement for the job. A tandem assembly will fit in the track without issue, though it will be harder to thread into the cutout. It's possible, but I won't lie to you: it won't be easy. It's up to you whether you want to make the cutout larger to accommodate the tandem assembly or not. You don't want to go overboard with it, but a little extra space won't hurt.

Hi Tom, I don't understand what you mean by threading. I really don't get how the coil inside works. I have only seen the broken housing and I don't know where the coil attaches to anything. There is a metal piece screwed into the track but I don't get how it works other than keeping the housing from going up the track beyond where the metal piece is screeed in. A video might help? Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

We unfortunately don't have a video on this particular balance. 

When I say "threading," I'm simply describing the method by which you put a taller balance assembly in a track cutout. You put the bottom in first and then slide the rest of the assembly in at a kind of angle, effectively "threading" it into a track, much like you'd thread the head of a needle.

The diagram below will show you how these balances are typically assembled in the frame. 

Were you also able to tell me why you don't think your original balances are correct for the window? I'm still not sure what you meant on that point, and it's an important factor right here. If the hardware we're talking about isn't correct in the first place then we need to start looking at other options.

Series 180 coil balance diagram
Series 180 coil balance diagram

Allgood installed 15 windows years ago. After my mom added a great room years later they installed 2 in that room. They were getting ready to go out of business and these broke so they wouldn't tilt anymore . The sash is almost 20 lbs and the pivot shoe and coil they used at installation are for a lighter sash if compared to your equivalent compared to the pics I sent. The original 5 have not broken after all these years after use. I hate taking out the sashes to compare because I don't want to break anything. If there is any job I do that is easy, I wait for the other shoe to drop, ha ha. I managed the cutout okay and I think there is room if I need to cut out a bit more. However if it was wrong to begin with, I will be glad to work with you to determine the next step. I have until the end of april and I will be back in June if it takes that long. It's secure, just can't clean unless we go outside on a ladder. Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

Gotcha, thanks for explaining. Your analysis seems sound. If the current balance system has worked fine all these years then I see no reason why you can't continue to use the the same style; there is a certain amount of wiggle room when it comes to coil balances, unlike other balance types, so substitutions are fairly common and still totally workable.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.