Coil springs

A home owner from Clarion, PA says:
Hello, I'm trying to find replacement parts for a CertainTeed window that we have that won't stay up unless we hold it. Our guess is that the coil and springs are broken. We've removed them from both sides of the window and included pictures of the hardware in question. Our issue is that we can't find any numbers, names, or markings on anything. The only thing we can find on the window is that it is a Certain Teed window & it has a marking of "RSM 94" on the inside of the window. Thats it. I can include a picture of the window itself and also the size of the window if that helps. Hoping you can help us so we don't have to replace the entire window. Thanks so much!!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil, Cover and Drum
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Cover
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Spring
Profile picture of Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thank you for posting,

We should be able to assist with new coil springs, but to further review, we will need to see the pivot shoe in the window channel that the coils attach to. It may have fallen to the bottom of the channel. Being a Certainteed window, I believe you may have an older style of the 15-192 pivot shoe, but I need to confirm before moving forward with the correct series to recommend. 

We will also need to know the weight of the sash. The window sash will need to be placed on a bathroom scale. Thank you! 

A home owner from Clarion, PA says:
Hello!

Okay here are the pictures of the pivot shoes. Also, each window sash is 17 pounds.

Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Bar
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Shoe
Profile picture of Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! 

Your pivot shoe resembles the 15-192 that is compatible with the Series 170 coil springs. For a 17 pound window, you can use (1) S170-409 coil on each side of the window to give you 18 pounds of support. As long as the weight range is within a pound, you should be fine! 

Also review the compatible covers and balance drum on the page if needed. If you need to replace the pivot shoe as well, please note that we have had some customers report that they had to shave down the aligners on the 15-192 shoe to fit in the window channel correctly. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions! 

detail of 15-192
detail of 15-192

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO 26-175 CertainTeed Pivot Bar Pair
SWISCO 26-175 CertainTeed Pivot Bar Pair
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.