Crank handle and coil for an OLD jalousie window

A quick learner from says:
I'm not sure when the windows were originally installed, but I know they have been there for over 25 years. There are approximately ten windows in this Florida room, only one of which does not work. I am able to open the window with the crank handle, but when I go to close it, the entire handle (crank and heavy coil) comes out of the casing in one piece. I was told they were Andersen windows, but I could find no markings or any other indication of what type of windows they are. I was wondering how I go about fixing the handle issue. Do I need to replace the handle/coil or the whole casing? You have helped me in the past with old replacement parts, I hope you can help me again. (I have three additional pictures with measurements of the crank/coil but I reached the max on uploads)
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1633.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0925.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0924.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0926.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1636.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. When that gear pops out with the handle, it's a sign the entire operator mechanism has broken down and should be replaced. Fortunately we can probably help. I can't tell exactly what awning operator you have without seeing it removed from the window; if this is in fact an Andersen window, it might be the 39-258 and 39-259; but you'll need to remove yours from the window and compare to the diagram below to see if it matches up. If it does not, send us a picture of your operator from the rear, so we can clearly see the hole pattern, as well as a side angle so we can see the link arm clearly. Let me know if you have further questions.

Dimensions for 39-258
Dimensions for 39-258

A quick learner says:
Thank you for your quick response. I just attempted to remove the casing, only to find out that the bottom screw holding it to the window is securely hidden-as are all the other handles) behind a homemade wall/window sill (you can see the small wall/sill in the third picture.) It is going to take me a bit to figure out how to dismantle it without disrupting the wall. But I will attempt and get back to you.
Thank, Denise
Profile picture of Bob

That is unfortunate! I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Best of luck with removing the operator, and of course I'll be here to help identify it whenever you get a chance.

A quick learner from Toms River, NJ says:
Hey Bob, I finally managed to get the crank out. I took as many pictures as I could of the inside of the crank casing. I hope they give you an idea of what I need. (I have a couple more if you need.)
Thanks, Denise
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1784.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1785.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1786.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1788.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1790.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

I'm sorry to say that the link arm is still obscured in these photos. That is a very important detail; there are many operators that might have the same casing, but very different link arms, which renders them incompatible. If I can't see that clearly, I won't be able to narrow it down further. 

For now, you may want to look at our complete selection of awning window operators in this style, which can be found on this page.

Any of these shots make it clearer for you?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2E0C7B1E-304E-4627-9D49-C465E8DDE9B8.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2161296C-CCF7-4644-8043-DFBCB77271FE.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C182F2B1-338A-4062-84F0-1D3CCD232100.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

I'm afraid not. I apologize if I'm being unclear: the operator needs to be removed from the window entirely. That includes the link arm. As long as it's still connected to the rest of the window, it's just going to be too obscured to make out.

Is the "link arm" the piece connected to the long metal plate on the right side that I pointed to in red in the picture below?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1809.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Yes, the link arm is the small, hinged arm that the operator uses to connect to the rest of the hinge. I'll share that diagram from before; the link arm, in this example, is the piece that measures 2-1/2" long from hole to rivet.

I also wanted to stress that even after seeing this link arm, there is still a chance that we won't have this. These operators are an old fashioned style and our selection of replacement parts is much smaller than it was even a few short years ago. They just aren't as popular as they used to be. If I can see the whole thing, I will do my best to get an equitable match.  

If you're unable to disconnect the link arm to get me a clear photo, then my suggestion would be to contact a local professional to come out and see if they can do this job for you. 

Dimensions for 39-258
Dimensions for 39-258

How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.