Dash guide

A home owner from Miami, FL says:
Hello, Please see the attached photos of the sash guide on my windows. Many of my windows are like this where the sash guide is not broken, but the balance still pushes up through. These are the originals to the window built in 2007. Is there an option that would cover that channel better so that the balance doesn't push through? Thank you in advance.

Todd
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel Balance Stop
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Non-Tilt Channel Balance
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hi Todd,

Thanks for writing in! I am confident we can supply you with the replacement balances needed to make your repairs. However, to be absolutely sure I'll need to see a photo of an undamaged balance removed from the window.

I am specifically looking to see a photo of the top and bottom plastic attachments from the balance. The stamp provided only indicates the weight range the balance can carry to support the sash. This will be useful once we've determine the type of balance you need however, it cannot help to identify the exact series needed.

In regard to the balance pushing through, this is likely because the top sash guide is damaged and needs to be replaced. This guide helps to guide the balance in the channel as well as preventing it from shooting up into the window channel.

To identify the best possible replacement, I'll need to see a photo of your existing top sash guide, from a front profile view.

Please feel free to reach out with any other questions you might have in the meantime.

Hi Jasmine,

Thank you for the reply. The sash guides are fully intact. I have replaced a few that are doing the same thing where the balance pushes past the guide. The windows in this house were never impressive and I think there is a lot of play in the sash as it moves up and down allowing the balance to push past through. I'm hoping there is a top sash guide with a larger top surface to block more of the channel the balance is pushing through. I will have to disassemble the sash to get a photo as I am out of the new ones I purchased a few years back. Thank you, again. And I will follow up with a photo.

Todd
Photos attached. Thank you for any assistance.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Kinco Sash Guide
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top Sash Guide
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Kinco Top Guide
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance Top Guide
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance Winged Shoe
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for the photos. Our senior expert believes you may be able to use the 18-009 in place of the 18-166 Kinco top sash guide you have here. This guide is a little deeper than the 18-166.

Take a look over the dimensions and compare them to determine if this will work as a suitable replacement for you.

Detail of 18-009
Detail of 18-009

Side view of 18-009
Side view of 18-009

Thank you for the suggestion. I will purchase a couple of the 18 009 to try.

Todd
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.