Double Hung CertainTeed Tilt Window Coil Balance Replacement Parts Needed

A home owner from Maryland says:
Following up on a recent conversation with a SWISCO service gentleman and sending more information on the coil balance replacement parts I am looking for to use on my CertainTeed double hung tilt window. Travel distance is 16" and window weight is 12 pounds. Only one coil balance is broken so unsure if it would be best to replace both just to have them match. Look forward to your guidance on what replacement parts I should order. Many thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4277.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4279.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4278.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hello there. See our 15-192 Certainteed Pivot Shoe, as well as the S170-406 6 pound coil spring. In general you only need to replace what is broken with these coil balance systems; however, you also want to make sure you're using the same amount of spring strength on both sides of the window. So for instance, if your window weighs 12 pounds, you want a S170-406 6 pound spring on each side of the sash, to equal 12 pounds of support overall. Also keep in mind that using an older spring with a new one on the other side of the sash can cause both to wear out faster, so it may behoove you to replace the coil balances on both sides. Let me know if you have further questions. 

A home owner from Maryland says:
Many thanks to Bob for identifying the replacement parts I need. Just placed an order and expect all to go well with installing them. I would have struggled fixing my window if it was not for the SWISCO team's help.
Profile picture of Bob

You're very welcome! I'm happy that I was able to help you.

Thank you for the purchase and please feel free to reach out if you needed anything else.

A quick learner says:
Is this pivot a 15-192 cause it doesn't look the same as the one you show?
Also is my coil balance a S 171 series ?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

No, that's not the 15-192. That's the 15-180 pivot shoe, which is a different size and design and uses entirely different balance hardware. See our Series 190 spring, 15-181 double spring clip, and 15-182 bushing.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.