Double Hung Window Seal Help

A home owner from Charleston SC says:
I have a lot of these off-brand double hung windows that have sizable water leaks. The photos show the leak area that is in the corners where the bottom of the top window seals against the top of the lower window. I have a LOT of these that are 20 years old and leaking.

My temporary fix, shown in the photos, works OK for now but is not a permanent solution and my plugs of foam fall out when I open the windows. Not a good solution and my wife is on me about it.

Can you offer a "best possible seal solution" for these windows?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Seals 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Seals 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Seals 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Seals 4.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us! The best match for your weatherstripping will ultimately depend on the original your window was designed to use. Is there an identical window in the house with the original and intact seal? If you can remove an undamaged sample and show us a clear view of the end profile, that'll help us narrow down some options. 

Thanks for the additional question. NOW I see how the original seal was designed. The rubber strip went all the way to the side of the window and the felt seal went above the rubber strip in an L shaped configuration. That would have given it much better resistance from hard rain coming sideways into the window. The windows that are leaking

So, I think what I need is some really good quality felt strips 5/8" width so I can cut them to fit the corners as shown. Also need lengths of that 5/16" rubber strip. OR I will take your recommendations if there is an even better way to seal these windows.

Please let me know any additional information or measurements you need.

Thanks, Hube
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Original Condition Window Seal with Measurements.j
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Original Condition Window Seal.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure how your weather stripping is attached to the window. From what I can see, it looks like it might be some type of self-sticking weather stripping. Take a look at the parts we've related for you on this page. Review the specifications and see if you think any could be adapted to your window. If you're interested in samples for these parts, let us know! All you would have to pay for is shipping. 

Thanks so much for the help on this. I don't think you carry the flat wide pile or the D-seal products that my windows need. You are a great resource of information and I'll keep you in mind for the future.

Best, Hube 

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

No problem, Hube. I am sorry we couldn't be of more help but please let us know if you need any future assistance! 

How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.