Ellison tilting window spring balance shoe and spring.

A handy person from Villanova Pa. says:
Hello,

I need a pair of shoes with springs or possibly just a replacement spring.

The combined nylon shoe and spring housing measures 2 7/8" long by 1 3/16" wide by 9/16" thick.

Spring is marked "21V" (possibly preceded by the numeral 7 which is in a larger font.)

The lower shoe can be easily separated from the spring housing by sliding the shoe out on two key ways molded into the upper spring housing.

The AAMA sticker identifies this as an Ellison window ( mfr code ELl-1)

The balance supports a sash that measures 29"x22.5" and weighs 12.5 pounds.)

I can't seem to find an obvious match among the shoes you offer so hopefully you can make a suggestion. Thank you.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8912.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8913.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8836.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8914.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. You're right, we don't carry this exact coil balance shoe. We believe our best replacement is likely the 15-087. This works with the same 15-086 tandem housing you show. This assembly uses Series 180 Coil Balances. To confirm this could work for you though, I'd like to review a few details. First, we need to see photos of your pivot bar uninstalled, as well as where the coil springs attach to the window. There should be a bracket like the 16-024 near the top of the track. Lastly, please double-check the exact width and thickness of the pivot shoe itself. The 15-087 is 1-1/4" wide and a 1/2" thick. Let me know if your shoe does in fact differ; that would be an issue.  

A handy person from Villanova Pa. says:
Thanks for the quick reply.

With a proper set of calipers the original shoe measures 1 1/4" wide and 9/16" thick.

I could not remove the pivot bar but I think the attached pictures will do. Its cross section is 3/16"x 5/16" and it protrudes about 5/8" from the sash.

The spring does indeed fasten to the rail with a bracket like the one you showed. The bracket screws in with a single screw 26" above the bottom of the sash when it is closed

It was the two holes needed to mount the spring that allowed me to identify the 180 series balance so I ordered 2- 7 lb springs.

I also ordered an S-161 Roller tilt as it seemed it would fit. ( Your opinion?)

If I have to rely on using the 180 coil balances for the repair, is it correct that I do not have to attach the inner end of the coil, it just sits rolled up in the spring casing ? In the original there is a small cylinder that "floats" in the space of the inner coil. I'm thinking its purpose is to prevent the inner end of the coil from leaving the spring housing ( somehow) if the balance is extended to its max.

Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8921.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8920.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8918.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for getting back to us. I believe your pivot bar is a match for our 26-403, and should fit in the 15-086 pivot cam. As for the S180-07 coil spring, it does sit in the spring housing. The small barrel that sits in the middle is to help the spring extend and retract.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.