Help with Window Parts replacement!

A quick learner from Amesbury, MA says:
Hello!

I have a home that was renovated in the early 2000's with replacement windows from Architectural Building Components (I found this out by calling Keystone Corporation who used the manufacturer sticker to find the details).

Anyways I have a few issues:
- First a sagging upper sash in some windows; I know this just requires a spiral balance replacement and shoe replacement, correct? Can you point me to the proper parts? Also it appears that due to the sagging the upper sash is sort of cock-eyed and needs to be forced up to be level, I assume the spiral balance/shoe replacement fixes this?
- Broken/missing locks throughout the house, primarily due to the upper sash sagging and not lining up with the lock and someone tried to force it.

Thanks for any and all assistance!
-Erik
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I am afraid none of these photos will help us locate replacement hardware. We would actually need to see the parts in question removed from the window. We'd also like for you to include some detailed measurements and dimensions of the different and we can go from there. Thank you.

A quick learner from Amesbury, MA says:

I can do that!

I assume I need to remove the following:

- Spiral Balance

- Shoes

- Locking Mechanism

I have taken apart the upper sash and here are the pictures.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! These pictures are a big help. Let me address your questions.

Firstly, when a sash droops down after being opened, the problem is usually the balance. Since you appear to have a tilt window spiral balance, you could use a charging tool like our 75-006 to give it one or two turns. If it's still functioning, then that will give it some tension again. 

If one or two turns doesn't do it, however, then the spring is shot and you'll need a new one. I recommend our Series 900 if the outer tube is 3/8" in diameter or our Series 600 if the spring is 5/8" in diameter.

The shoe actually doesn't have anything to do with the window staying up, so as long as yours aren't physically damaged in some way then you can reuse them. 

As for the lock, I'm not sure what you need. I see the keeper in your fourth picture but I'm not sure what the dimensions are. That will be an important determining factor. Start with our 90-177, or even something like our 90-279 or 90-284. These are a few possible options, depending on your size.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.