Help with coil balances

A quick learner from IL says:
Hi, great website and support, thank you for the ability to submit a question about a part. I have Gorell Pro-Design 5100 Series windows, and the coil balance broke. When googling for Gorell, all sigs pointed to your website. Thank you for all your help! Pictures attached with the window and coils in question. Also, how do you remove them?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240418_121618.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240418_121643.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Thanks for reaching out to us. Looking at your photo, it looks like you have our 15-087 pivot carrier. This is designed to be compatible with our Series 180 coil spring. 

Your next step is to look over these parts to verify that their design and size matches your old hardware. You'll also need to remove the old spring to get its weight stamp. Note that I bring up the 15-087 pivot carrier only as a point of reference; assuming your old carrier is still in good condition, you can reuse that and just replace the spring by itself.

Detail of 15-087
Detail of 15-087

Alright, will try to get both springs out.
Profile picture of Tom

Great! If your parts differ in any way from the products I've recommended, feel free to upload your data here for me to review.

Hi, I could not find a number on the coil, but I found a number on the carrier, the number is PAT 5353548, I think this is it:
https://www.swisco.com/discussions/Coil-balance-PAT-5353548-77-186476

Tom
Here is up close picture.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Gabe's window coil.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

That definitely looks like our 15-087 to me. As long as the dimensions match up then our Series 180 should work perfectly fine for this application.

If there is no stamp printed on the old spring, then you will need to weigh your sash on a scale and divide that by the number of springs that support it; in your case, that'd be two.

So, for example, if your sash was 10 pounds, you'd need two 5 pound springs. If it was 8 pounds, you'd need two 4 pound springs. And so on.

Thanks Tom will do tonight
Tom - I weighed the window sash and the weight was 14lbs. So I need to purchase two Coil Housing Pivot (Product Code: 15-087) and two 7 lbs Series 180 Coil Balance (Product Code: S180-07)? Is that everything? Do the coils come pre-installed in the housing?
Do I need Tandem Coil Housing (Product Code: 15-086)?
Thanks! Tom
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, that's correct. For a 14 pound sash, using one 7 pound spring per side will be perfectly sufficient.

These parts don't come pre-assembled, so you will have to put them together as you install. There's also no need for the 15-086 tandem housing since you're only using one spring per side. You'd only want that if you had two springs per side.

Thanks Tom, I'll be ordering these shortly. Do I put your name somewhere on the order to indicate that you helped me?
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, thank you! We really appreciate the business, it means a lot.

There's no need to put my name anywhere, but that's kind of you to offer. Just be sure to reach out again if you had any other hardware questions in the future.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.