How to identify missing spiral balances

A quick learner says:
Hello, I have a window that is missing its spiral balances. How do I determine the length of the spiral balance I need to get? Are there any other factors I need to be able to determine the correct ones?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us. There are a bunch of different factors, and they're a little tricky to determine. Before I go over any of them, I have to ask: do you have an identical window in the house that uses the same hardware? If so, that would make things a LOT easier.

If not, we'll have to start from scratch. I'll need to know whether your windows are tilt or non-tilt as well as whether they're wood, aluminum, or vinyl. I'd also like to see if you can find the manufacturer, or if you happen to know if off the top of your head. A photo of your window would also help.

We will definitely need more information, but let's start here so that we know what else to ask for. 

A quick learner says:
It is a vinyl tilt window. There is not a matching one in the house. The balances seem to have been removed at some point. I do not see any manufacturer name listed on it anywhere. Are there certain measurements I should take to figure this out? Thank you for you help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3924.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3925.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks! Knowing that this is a tilt window is a huge help. There are measurements we need, but I wanted to confirm what kind of window you had before I recommended anything.

Your second photo shows a pivot shoe. Can you tell me how thick that shoe is? That will allow us to determine what diameter tube to go with for the balance.

As for length, can you tell me the height of the visible glass of the sash these balances will support?

Hopefully with this information we can come up with a good match.

A quick learner says:
the glass is about 15 3/4 inches high; the shoe is about 1 inch wide and goes into the slot about 1/2 inch deep.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your patience during this time. We've been a little delayed due to the quarantine but we're catching  up as best as we can.

For your bottom sash, we estimate the balance tube length to be 19" long. So you would order an S600-19 spiral balance. I'd also recommend a Red Tip color option for sashes weighing 6 through 19 pounds.  You should weigh your sash just to be 100% sure. 

If you need a new pivot shoe, look at and compare our 15-046 to your original. It also looks like you're missing the top screw plug to attach the balance tube. I recommend the 26-200 with a 33-016 screw. Our 75-006 charging tool will also help in attaching the balance spiral to the pivot shoe.

Please let us know if you had any other questions.

How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.