How to remove my lock so I can try your 82-225

A home owner from Simi Valley, California, USA says:
The 82-225 photo is not the same as the lock patent 919213. I would like to try if it works. Please show me how to replace it. My first problem is how to remove the old lock internal components, please see the photos. Many thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7766.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7767.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7771.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7772.JPEG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7773.JPEG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Unfortunately, I don't think the 82-225 is going to work on your door. The 82-225 is generally used in older surface-mount handle sets; that is to say, handles that have the latch (the 82-225 in this example) built into the handle itself.

That's not the case for your door. Your latch is built into the door, and to be honest with you I have no idea what it could be. I've never seen this design before. I'm guessing that it's fairly old, given that it's an aluminum frame, but that's about all I can garner.

Would you happen to know the manufacturer of your door? That may help me track something down, but right now I cannot tell you what your old latch might be, or even how to remove it. I've just never encountered this door before. My best guess is that partial disassembly of the frame will be necessary. There appears to be a kind of "cap" that runs the entire length of the side of the door. That would presumably have to be removed first. You should check for screws that might be holding it in place.

A home owner from Simi Valley, California, USA says:
Thank you for your timely reply. The house was built in 1968 as part of a tract home development; I guess we can research to find out the popular sliding glass door manufacturers at that time. However, this type of lock might be no longer available.
Therefore, could you tell me any surface mounted lockset can work with my door? I'm thinking of abandoning the internal lock component in place. Many thanks.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sure, if you don't mind drilling some new holes, then that's probably going to be the most direct solution to this repair. I'd suggest the 82-005. This is a very versatile handle set that I've personally installed on an absolute ton of older doors. It has its own mortise lock built into it, so there's no need to worry about whether it'll be compatible with whatever's in the door now (which you can just ignore). 

The catch is that it has a 4-15/16" hole center spacing, which is somewhat uncommon. If yours doesn't match then you'll need to drill new holes in the door to accommodate. You'll also need to drill new holes for the keeper, which needs to be mounted on the frame in alignment with the new latch. This will be either very simple or a little tricky depending on the nature of the frame itself. Some frames are more generous than others in terms of how much space you have to work with.

Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
Reversing the thumb lock on the Swisco 82-005 Sliding Door Handle
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
How to Replace a Surface Mount Handle Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.