Looking for Simonton window spring counter balance and pivot shoe.

A home owner from Rhode Island says:
Hello I'm looking to replace the window pivot shoe and counter balance on my double hung Simonton window.

I recently purchased from your company "S170-407 - 407 Series 170 Coiled Balance Spring" and "15-192 - CertainTeed Pivot Shoe". I purchased two of each.

The pivot shoe looks nearly identical to the one I have except it is too large and will not slide up or down the jamb channel at all.

The counter balance spring is the same outer diameter as the one that broke but the inner diameter is too small and will not fit over the balance drum I have. I tried tapping it lightly with a hammer but it definitely will not fit.

I'm looking to replace both pivot shoes and both counter balance springs for the lower window sash on my double hung window.

I have contacted Simonton but they have not responded and I can't seem to find any direct replacement parts for their windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named simonton window coil spring
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named simonton window sticker
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out to us. We'd be happy to help with this. Before we recommend anything, can you show us a photo of the original pivot shoe? Seeing it removed from the window sash would be ideal but let us know! 

A home owner from Rhode Island says:
Hi Emily,

First of all thank you for responding so quickly.

I have posted a photo with an image of the original pivot shoe.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named simonton pivot shoe
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

This is perfect! I appreciate you getting that for us. The 15-192 and Series 170 can replace your old shoe but it will take some modification. For example, the aligners or "bumps" on the face of our pivot shoe will need to be ground down. Reusing your old shoe's metal cam may also be necessary. However, please note that modified items cannot be returned. Furthermore, you would need the 15-156 cover and 15-157 balance drum for the new springs. 

The other option we have is the 15-259 which uses the Series 159 coil springs. The video below will go into the details, including the additional parts needed. Just note that you will need the exact weight of your sash on hand to calculate the proper spring strength. You want to divide that weight by how many springs support the sash, then pick accordingly.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.