Looking for what replacement coil I might need

A handy person from Salem says:

Good morning,

I recently just purchased a house and noticed some of my windows won't stay open so I feel I have to replace the window coil balance.

I'm not exactly sure what the weight I need but on the plastic in the front it has the number H-417. The window itself doesn't feel like it's 17 pounds, Maybe 10 pounds.

The windows look like they could be from the 90's and are double pain.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D05FBCEA-3027-486A-9EFF-883826E6559F.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A137EFB1-DEA3-4EEF-8009-EED4DB09B47E.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 93AA43FB-1B49-4DBE-9C3F-E4D0A89D14E3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 161A1D92-4E5F-46B0-B2E8-57576D888F73.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AE55C1AB-4013-47E9-A23E-20D1F6DDBBE3.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

This is a fairly old balance assembly, but I think we can still help. Before I say anything for sure, though, I'd like a clear photo of both the spring and shoe removed from the track. Seeing them without obstruction will allow me to narrow down the list of possibilities by a considerable margin. It will also let you get the stamp printed on the spring, which will tell you precisely how much weight each coil can support. We can use that as a reference to pick out the best calibration for the job. Lastly, I'll need you to measure the thickness of the shoe and tell me what you get.

If there is no number printed on your coil springs, then you will need to weigh your sash on a scale to verify its weight. Estimations unfortunately won't be enough when it comes to balances. These are very precise systems.

I was able to get the coil out last night. It does measure 1 1/4 inch wide and 9/16 inch thick. One coil had a 6 stamped on it and the second coil had a 4 stamped on it.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 849CD73D-7376-42EB-ADC9-C77C2645F440.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3C0B044D-6893-4098-9872-6C39C741BA38.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! Looks like you only have the spring shown in these photos. I still need to see the shoe, if at all possible. Seeing it in undamaged condition would be ideal. Thank you!

This is the entire unit.
On one photo you'll notice the number 6 on the coil. The coil underneath has a number 4. The part I circled red is attach to the inside frame of the window. The entire coil and shoe moves with the window as it goes up and down.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E9B69C8B-D4CA-42B7-8E54-E557C66A3F42.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4564AE17-9588-46CF-871F-06C4F4980D8F.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BC1C6668-97C3-4E1B-8630-98739D0B02BE.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3A417CA5-CE66-4372-8C0C-D3CA28F1F703.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0C37B4F6-E5D9-4D51-B73B-1975F1BB88B1.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

This is precisely what I needed to see, thank you!

This pivot shoe appears to match our 15-140, which is 17/32" long and designed to be compatible with our Series 150 coil spring. Since your old springs are stamped with 6 and 4, you'd want our S150-6 and S150-4, respectively. These carry 6 and 4 pounds each, which tells me that your sash probably weighs a 20 pounds. 

We don't sell the plastic cover that yours has, unfortunately, as this is a somewhat older model, but we sell a few components that will work just as well. See our 15-143 bushing, 15-144 bushing cap, and 15-145 support barrel. These three components "sandwich" over the spring to form a cartridge, just like your old cover. It's just a different shape. You'd need one of each of these per spring in use. 

These pieces are all sold separately. Please feel free to reach out if you had any other questions and I'd be happy to assist.

Good morning,
Thanks for the parts and added information.
I'm just a little confused on how this whole thing will go together.
Do all your springs have an opening on them so one can attach to another?
Does the spring attach to the shoe?
If not what would the spring attach to?

In my current set up my shoe is attached to the housing and the spring is attached to the broken piece I have a red circle around. That piece screws to inside the frame of the window track.
That piece is broken so I won't be able to reuse it and I'm afraid others will break as I take them out.
I'm trying to replace these in 4 windows so I'll need 8 set up's. Looking to replace all parts and not reuse any since I'm afraid I'll break parts from being so old and brittle.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AB3F2982-DB94-4F01-95AA-ED82E9DECFAC.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, I'll do my best to clarify. The way these work is pretty straight-forward. Both springs will connect to the pivot shoe; the "loop" you see at the end of each spring slide into one of the slots you see at the top of the shoe. The loop itself acts as a kind of anchor and prevents it from slipping out.

As for how these install in the window, a screw goes straight through the housing assembly (made up of the 15-143, 15-144, and 15-145) and into the jamb. I see screws in your old housing assembly and I presume that this is how your original installed; I admit I'm not fully familiar with that top bracket you have circled. There's nothing like that in our assembly. The housing just screws into the jamb track.

This is traditionally how all modern coil balances install, usually only differing with how the spring attaches to the shoe. 

Hopefully this clears matters up!

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.