MW Windows Bock and Tackle Rod Assy.

A quick learner from Smithfiled Virginia says:

I have older MW vinyl windows that were installed in 2000. The plastic part at the top of the rod has broken on several windows thus causing the spring to lose tension. (See Broken Part Photo) I was wondering if there is a new replacement block and tackle rod assembly available. Or a replacement plastic piece that goes on the top of the rod that guides the rope and keeps tension on the spring.

Thanks,

Gordon

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top Assy.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Rope-Spring.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bottom of Assy.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Foot.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Broken Piece.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! The balance you are looking to replace is the discontinued Series 850 Crossbow Balance. These can be converted to our Series 795 Channel Balance. Although, to determine, with certainty, that this is the exact replacement you need, there are a few details you need to confirm.

To start, you'll need to find an undamaged balance to ensure you are obtaining the correct measurements. Then, you'll need to confirm the length of the balance and the measurement for the width of the bottom shoe. Based on what I can see, it looks like you'll need the 1-1/4" T-Lock Shoe, but you'll want to double check this to be sure. Next, you will need to confirm that the diameter of the balance is 1/2".

The last detail you'll need to confirm is the exact weight of the sash. You'll need this to determine the weight range for your stamp option.

Take a look at the video below for a detailed explanation on the information you'll need to confirm as well as the instructions on how to convert your crossbow balances.

Hello and thanks you for the reply. I watched the video and I understand the concept and I think I understand it. The top of my balance assembly has a clip/hook and the guide rope comes down off of it. (See attached pic) I guess this is the "P" shaped hook mentioned in the video. Mine appears to just snap in. I guess the new screw plug goes here to install new balance.
I have attached another picture of my balance assembly sitting outside the window. It measures 24.5" from bottom of shoe to the plastic piece on the top of the rod.
I'm not sure what you are talking about when you say the balance is 1/2" diameter. The spring appears to measure 1/2" diameter, so I guess that is what is meant.
The clear opening where the balance goes in is 3/4", but once inside the opening, it is 1 3/8" wide past the opening. The 1 1/4" wide shoe should slide up and down in there.
I measure both size lower sashes I have and they 14.2 pounds and 14.8 pounds.
I think you assembly will work. I 'm just not sure if what I have provided is correct.
Thanks,
Gordon
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Rope Attach.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Rod Assembly.jpg

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the photos. It does appear that our Series 795 Channel Balance would work as a suitable replacement for your existing hardware.

Although, as mentioned, you'll need to find an undamaged balance to be able to confirm an accurate length for this balance; it would need to be from a window of the exact same size. If you do not have an undamaged balance, I'll need to know the exact height of the visible glass pane in the sash, only the glass you can see.

Once we have an accurate length for the balances, we'll be able to get you set up with the replacements needed for your repairs.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Good afternoon Jasmine,
I removed the lower sash and with the block and tackle rod assembly all the way to the top up against the P hook I measured 24 1/2". This is on a window that is not broken. I measures from the top of the plastic piece to the bottom of the shoe. (See circled area in picture) The visible glass in the sash measured 23 1/2". I also sent you a picture of the pivot bar end if you needed to see that.
Hopefully I have provided all the information that is needed.
Thanks,
Gordon
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Pin.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Measure Point.jpg

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for confirming this information. I would suggest using the S795-24 with a 24B stamp option, which will support a sash weighing 11 to 17lbs. You'll need to remember to add the 26-200 Balance Screw Plug along with the 33-016 screw to the cart as well. 

To be able to identify the correct replacement for the pivot bar, I'll need to see it removed from the bottom of the sash. Unfortunately, the tip of the pivot bar does not show enough detail to properly identify the best recommendation.

Please feel free to reach out with any other questions.

Good morning Jasmine,
It looks like all I need to do is determine what pivot bars I need for the 795 channel balance. I have attached a picture of the what I have now, and hopefully this will tell you what I need.
When I get this figured out, I can go ahead and place my order.
Thanks for all your help,
Gordon
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Piovot Pin Length.jpg

Good morning Gordon,

That is correct, the pivot bar was the final piece of information I needed to see. Thanks for the photos!

Your pivot bar appears to be an older version of the 26-366 Vinyl Window Sash Pivot Bar. This has a different shape from the end of the cam but it will be compatible with the 15-195 shoe assembled of the Series 795 Balance.

Take a look over the dimensions to confirm that this will be a fit.

DIMensions for 26-366
DIMensions for 26-366

Hello Jasmine,
I think the 26-366 will work. I measure 15/16" to the first hole and 2 9/32" to the second hole, from the inside of the flange to the center of the holes. I get 2 15/16" from the center of the second hole to the end of the bar, where it sits in the shoe.
Thanks,
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Okay, great! You'll be able to place the order for all of the recommended hardware, via the website, at your convenience. If you need assistance with placing the order, you'll need to call (888) 991-1929 to speak with a member of our customer service team.

Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.