Milguard casement windows

A home owner from California -92672 says:
Hi- I have several Milguard windows that were installed in the year 2000. The glass is find on the Windows, but the working parts are in various states of disrepair. Are you able to identify these parts? Virtually all moving parts for these windows will be needed. We have about 15 of these windows. Some parts are OK still, but many are rusty and broken.

thank you
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1123.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1125.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1126.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1127.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! We should be able to help you with all parts shown in these photos, yes. I'll just need a bit more information before we can make any recommendations.

Starting with the operator, can you disconnect the long arm from the track and show me a picture of the end? I'm chiefly interested in the black guide you'll see connected to it. 

Moving on to the hinge assembly, I feel confident that you can use something like our 36-048 to replace this. The only catch is that you have to make sure to replace the top and bottom at the same time, or else the sash won't have a symmetrical movement. Also note that the 36-048 has a 10" long sill track; if your sill track is a different size, just let me know. We have plenty of other options.

You're showing the crank handle in your third photo. This closely matches our 39-205, but you can reuse the original as long as it's still in good condition.

Lastly, we have the lock. This appears to be an older style, so odds are we can't get you an exact match. However one of our more modern components should work just as well. What I need to see at this stage is the lock removed so that I can see its backside. I'm mostly interested in the component it uses to interact with the linkage; it'll look like either a fork or a hooked arm.

Once I have the requested information, we can work on completing the list for you.

Hi Tom;

I've dissassembled some of the hardware an am hoping I provided the necessary information to replace the swing arm and the lock assembly. Your assistance is appreciated!

Jeff

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1137.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1138.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1141.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1142.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1139.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! These photos are a huge help.

Starting with the operator, I'm very confident that you can use our 39-253LB and 39-253RB to replace the original. We also sell the 39-451 and 39-452 handle/cover sets separately. You can reuse your old guide and track, as long as they aren't damaged, but if they are then see our 39-529 and 39-528, respectively.

For the lock, we sell two modern options that may replace it, depending on size. See our 39-095 and 38-096. Review their dimensions to determine the best match; the most important factor here is hole center spacing and the projection of the fork.

If neither of those dimensions match when compared to our parts, let me know. We have other options, the two I mentioned are just two common picks.

Hi Tom; thank you for your reply. I'll be ordering some of these items in the next few days. I also have some windows that are larger and need parts for those. For sure, at least one set of hinges, and also some operators and locks. I've posted pictures. These are for windows that are wider than the ones we have been working on.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1153.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1150.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1151.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1152.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Great! I'm glad to hear that those parts all match up. For this larger window, you appear to have the same operator as before; the 39-253LB and 39-253RB. For the track, I'd suggest the 39-528. We also sell the 39-529 guide separately but you can always just reuse your original. It doesn't look broken or anything.

The hinge is a bit of a peculiar design, with that split arm, but I think our 36-049 can work. This has a 14" long sill track, which is a little bigger than yours, but as long as you swap out the top and bottom at the same time you should be good to go.

How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Comparing the 39-253LB & 39-438B Operators
Comparing the 39-253LB & 39-438B Operators
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.