My stamp is 16 without any trailing letters

A home owner from Williston, VT says:
I want to replace the channel balances in one of my windows. On the original channel balance the stamp only has the number 16 on it. What do the option numbers for the S751-17 unit,(16tg, 16hd, 16r) mean? Can you suggest which option number I should choose. Thank you, Charlie
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
First, double check the stamp to make sure there are definitely no trailing letters (sometimes the stamp is very light).

The stamped letters following the number indicates the strength of the window balance. In general the following applies.
  • The stamp "16r" is for a small window sash (less than 24" by 24") with single pane glass.
  • The stamp "16hd" is for a larger window sash.
  • The stamp "16tg" is for large window sashes with insulated glass.

It is important to get the correct window balance strength. If you were to choose a balance strength that was too strong for your window sash, the window sash could raise on its own. On the other hand, if you choose a balance strength that is not strong enough, your window sash may not stay up and fall down on its own.

If you have any questions about the proper balance strength you need, please contact SWISCO before you place your order. When you contact SWISCO for help determining the correct window balance strength please include the weight and size of your window sash. To weigh your window sash you must actually remove it from the window and weigh it. Also, include if your glass is single pane glass or insulated glass. Click here for the contact form for the Series 751 window sash support balance.
A quick learner from Williston says:
I want to make sure I order the correct balances for my windows. They were built in the 70's and have insulated glass. S751-17 Balance Window 1: W/H 20"X30.5", weight 12.5lbs, balance length 17", stamp 16 S751-25 Balance Window 2: W/H 28"X38.5", weight 21.5lbs, balance length 25", stamp 24 Which option should I choose for each window? TG,HD,orR
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
For window 1: S751-17 (12.5 lb sash) choose stamp option 16R.
16R will carry a window sash weight load range of 10 through 17 pounds.

For window 2: S751-25 (21.5 lb sash) choose stamp option 24HD.
24HD will carry a window sash weight load range of 18 through 22 pounds.

This information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.