My windows are hard to open

A handy person from Charlrotte,NC says:

Hi -

My house is about 20 y.o. and most of the windows are hard to open. I've attached some pics of a sample window that needs to have the spiral balances replaced. Pic #5 shows the right side shoe with screw, pic #4 shows the left shoe broken, pic #3 shows the plastic pieces broken off from right bottom of sash, pic #2 is the bottom left of sash, pic #1 is of bottom right of sash. My sash weighs 24.4 lbs, length is 37", and 3/8" diameter. I need to have two windows fixed (4 spiral balances). Please advise me of what parts I need to repair them. 

Thank you,

Tom

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200730_161343.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200730_161400.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200730_161410.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200730_161459.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200730_161513.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Tom. Based on the measurements given for your spiral balance, I would recommend the S900-37. Just make sure you're measuring the outer tube when getting the diameter, not the spring itself.

As for the pivot bar, we should be able to supply a good match for this part, but I would like to see a picture of it removed from the shoe before I recommend anything. I specifically want to see the design of the front tip. Please also make sure that the version you show us is the undamaged one.

Finally, if you also needed a new pivot shoe, then I will need to know its exact width and thickness. You may find it easier to measure if you remove it from the window first.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.