Need Pivot Lock Shoes- 1 1/4" wide, 1/2" deep, 2" long

A home owner from Oak Brook, Illinois says:

I have a tilted vinyl window in my bathroom that will no longer hold open?..using sticks to prop up. Based on what I've read and viewed on line, it is likely I have broken pivot lock shoes.

What seems confusing from the information I've read is that my channel balance has the spring at the top with the hook into into channel wall and the string system is at the bottom with a hook intended to go into the pivot lock shoe. To add to my frustration, this pivot lock shoe is rectangular so does not pivot, and I'm unable to slide it out at the top of the channel as there is a vinyl panel across the top of the window that I've not been able to remove no matter what I've used to pry or snap off.

So my mission here is to ask your help in identifying a pivot lock shoe part replacement so I can order a few ??..and then get someone local to get the old ones off and the new ones on. If you feel a new channel balance and lock shoe system is a easier/better way to go, I'm agreeable.

Here are pictures of

(1) my pivot lock shoe. It is 1 1/4" wide, 1/2" deep, and 2" long

(2,3,4) channel balance( 16E BS1 TF) - spring and cords seem in good shape

(5) labels from the window?.very likely from the mid 70's. Window is old, but in good shape.

Will really appreciate your help.

Judy

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7B110AE9-6F23-41B8-8FA8-A697C356D897.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AC006525-A972-4D49-AEE2-CC954A652601.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8B74B244-8C0D-4451-AE71-9D8866FE2D30.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 58A6D386-B5C0-4FBA-B0AF-03762137D447.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 44791DF9-0B80-45BF-858A-8CDDFD235697.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Judy.

Your pivot shoe has no bearing on whether the window stays up or not. If the window drifts down when you open it, the problem is the balance. Your pivot shoe may still be in good condition so you can re-use it without having to take it out at all. 

As for the balance, yours is our S770-16 but it appears yours has an S clip at the top. Our S770 doesn't use an S clip so this will have to be a custom order. To outline it for you, we'd be using our S770-16 with the 16E stamp as the base and a rivet would be installed on top to use an S-clip like the 19-029. Does that sound good to you? If it does, let me know how many balances you'll need and I can draft a price quote from there. 

follow-up reply/ information.
Emily
Guess I didn't explain the broken window issue well. The window is shut closed??.it won't stay open at any level. The channel balances are hanging loose in the casings but the pivot lock shoes look broken. I've tested both of the channel balances with a nail on board and the spring and string system works fine. I've tried to reattach the hook on the end of the channel balance to the lock shoes but where they would hook on is broken on both. I'm pretty confident that I need new pivot lock shoes. 1 1/4" wide, 1/2" deep, and 2" long
Profile picture of Emily

Thanks for clarifying! If that's the case, see our 15-135 pivot shoe. This appears to match your dimensions but look this over and see what you think. 

Emily
Thanks so much for your input! I have ordered the 15-135 's and crossing my fingers I'll be able to open the window after the A/C season is over. I also ordered the big hook Spiral Balance Charging Tool for Non-tilt Windows. That video you provided on how to use with my type of channel balance was very insightful.

Never to old to learn new things!
Profile picture of Emily

It was my pleasure, Judy! Let me know if I can be of further help and best of luck with the repair! 

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.