Need Window Balance Hardware

A contractor from Belfast, Maine says:
Hello, I have some Mathew Brother's Windows with balances that are no longer working. Do you have replacement parts for them? There is an aluminum track and string on a spring and a clip for the window to hold onto.
Thank You, Joe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balance2.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! I am confident that there are replacement balances we can supply you with, however, I'll need to see a photo of the balance removed from that channel to confirm the correct replacement.

I've also noticed that your balance is stamped with a 24FHD, so I'll need to know the exact weight of the sash as well. This is not a stamp we'd be able to cross-reference, unfortunately. The sash weight will help to determine the stamp you'll need for your replacement balances.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Jasmine,

Thank you for the reply. I weighed the sash and it is 16.2 pounds. There are also little plastic tabs that I would need to replace too. I'll add the photo.

The windows I need the balances for are larger. the first pic I showed you with the 24 was a smaller one that we will replace. I have three large windows that I need the balances for. The stamp on them is 30L HD and the overall height is 64 inches.

Let me know what else you need.

Thank You!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3182.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3181.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3177.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3176.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3183.jpeg

I'll still need to see a photo of the balances completely removed from the channel as well. The view of the bottom attachment is obstructed by the channel so I'll need to see it removed to ensure we are recommending the correct replacement balances.

I'll also need to know the stamps from the other window channels or I'll need to know the length of the metal channel as well as the weight of those sashes.

There is a chance that these may need to be custom/special order balances. Custom balances are non-refundable and non-returnable. So it will important to have all of the requested information to make the most accurate recommendation.

Take a look at the video below for instructions on how to remove the balances. Thank you.

Thank you and I will get the rest of the information to you. What would the estimated cost for the parts be? The window frames and panes are in excellent shape, so I believe this repair would be cost effective. I have three windows all the same size.

Thanks,
Joe

Most of the pricing for our products are available on the website and you'll be able to add all of the items to your online cart to review the pricing prior to submitting the order. Once I have a better idea of the type of balance needed for your windows, I'll be able to provide you with all of the information needed so that you can calculate all of the costs.

Please be sure to confirm the window weight for the 30LHD stamp.

Thank you!

Ok I removed the window and added photos. There are three windows total and I noticed one of them was 32 wide instead of 27 wide. The 16.2 pounds is the 27 wide. I'd go with 20 pounds for the larger one. Balances that hold 20 pound windows should be sufficient.

Thank You!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3198.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3197.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3196.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg

Thanks for the photos. Your balances look like they could be the Series 751 channel balance with the 15-014 black knife lock shoe attached.

Dimensions for 15-014
Dimensions for 15-014

For the 16.2lb sash, since the balance is stamped with a 24FHD, I am assuming that the length of the metal channel is 25", so I recommend the S751-25. Although, I would be sure to double check that the length of the metal channel of your balance is actually 25".

For the balance stamped 30LHD, this may be the S751-31. The weight ranges for the stamps are unfortunately too large and too close in number to confirm one based on a weight estimate. The 30R stamp can carry a weight of 15 to 23lbs and the 30HD 23 to 29lbs. If your window happens to weigh 24lbs, the 30R will not be strong enough to hold the weight of your window. It is best to get the exact weight to confirm the balance you need.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi, I ordered the cam pivots.

The balances are 31 inches.

So I think I need the https://www.swisco.com/31-inch/pd/Series-751-Channel-Balances/S751-31.

Correct?

Also is there a special tool for removing the Vinal runner from the clips? I made something but the proper tool would be better.

Thanks again,

Joe

I cannot confirm, with certainty, if the S751-31 is the exact balance you'll need because the balances and the shoe are still installed in the channel. If your shoe is the same as the knife lock shoe above, then that would be the correct balance.

You'll need to use a slotted screwdriver (referred to in the video as a flathead) to uninstall these from the channel.

I would recommend reviewing the video included above for instructions on how to remove these balances. We give a detailed explanation as well as a visual demonstration on how they are removed. You'll find the video in my second response above.

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.