Need a part

A home owner from USA says:
Hi:

I just got off the phone with customer service and they recommended that I send pictures and measurements of the piece I need. The latch on my slider door quit working and, when I went to remove it, I dropped it into the door. Since then, I purchased a part that I thought was correct from Amazon but it did not fit, I then went to local hardware store with measurements and they had two options. I bought both and neither fit. I then went online to Swisco and bought item #82-69 and it does not quite fit in the whole?it appears that the WIDTH is correct but the LENGTH is just a fraction to long. I have attached pictures.

Can you assist me please?

Also, BIG KUDOS for having a quick and response customer service department. Makes a big difference!

Thanks in advance!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named David Mortise 5.PNG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named David Mortise 4.PNG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named David Mortise 3.PNG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named David Mortise 2.PNG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named David Mortise 1.PNG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I am very familiar with this door and I think I know exactly what you need: please see our 82-218 mortise lock.

Whenever I hear a story about a mortise falling into a door, it's almost always this part. Based on this, and based on the design of the hole where it installs, I feel very confident that this is the part you want.

Don't just take my word for it, though. I always recommend reviewing our dimensions just to be 100% sure. The numbers won't lie. 

Another thing to note is that the 82-218 might seem like it won't fit when you try to install it, but that's normal. These are designed to be a tight fit. Make sure to put it into the hole at an angle, rather than head on, and snap it in place. Also make sure to hold onto the hook with a pair of pliers to prevent it from falling into the door again. The video below will go into more detail.

Tom: I ordered the piece you suggested and it was too big for the hole in the door. I had previously ordered a separate piece from Amazon that ALMOST works. I am sending some photos (and video) to you for your review of the piece that almost works. It is tapered and it almost fits. I am a bit at my wit's end as I have now purchased (and returned) two parts from Amazon that I thought would fit but did not, purchased 2 pieces from Swisco that did not fit and purchased the only two mortise locks at the local hardware store and neither worked. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Best,

David
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4089 2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4089.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4086 2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4086.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0063.jpeg
UPDATE:

I watched the video again and again and finally figured it out and got it to work!! Thank!

David
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Great! I'm glad you were able to figure it out. Please let me know if you needed anything else and I'd be happy to assist you.

How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.