Need window balancers

A home owner from Louisburg, NC says:
Window weight 22.4 lb
Measurement is 33 in for this balance.
I need 10 for that size to cover my front windows downstairs.

What else is need to identify our part?
I eventually need to replace for all the windows in my house.

Thanks for your help
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 17034322175594326140811155305070.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Based on the information provided, you can use the S795-34 Channel Balance to replace this particular crossbow balance. For a stamp option go with 34C, which will support your 22.4 pound sash. For a new pivot bar, use the 26-021. The video below explains the installation process. Let me know if you have further questions.

Ok so we measured everything today. My husband says the pivot bar better matches the 26-366 measurements.

I am going to include the measurements for the other windows as I want to make sure we order the right balance replacements. All ours are the old crossbow balances and we are converting to the new one you suggest.

2 bedrooms have windows that are:
26 in balance
14.8 lbs window

The other three are
Balance 24.5
Weight 13.8 lb

Can you tell me which balance to replace with? He says the pivot bars are all same Size.

So to be sure I order all the parts I need... I need 2 balances, 2 pivot bars, 2 t-lock shoes, and 2 screw plugs per window, correct?

Thank you for your expertise!

Jennifer
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey there! Bob's not here today, but I will do my best to assist you.

Starting with the 26-366, this is a fairly common pairing with the new balance system and I'm confident it will work for you. Just be mindful of one detail: the older version tends to have a slightly longer tip than what's made today, even if the base and hole placement are identical. It may seem like a small detail but it can turn into a real headache. What will happen if the tip on the new one is too short is that it won't be able to reach the balance shoe, meaning your sash won't install in the window.

The way to fix this is fairly simple, but does require handiwork. You'll have to drill new holes in the window so that the new pivot bar can sit a little further out, enough to make up the difference. I know this isn't ideal, but it works. Hopefully you won't have to worry about it and the new hardware will work perfectly fine as-is, but I just wanted to brace you for that possibility. It's just one of those things that can crop up when trying to adapt new hardware on old windows.

As for the balance sizes, the first balance you have here is a bit peculiar. These rod balances are always made in 1/2" length increments. Can you verify that the first one is only 26", and not 26-1/2" or even 25-1/2"?

As for the second window, for that I would suggest the S795-24 with a 24B stamp. Two balances with that stamp can carry 11 through 17 pounds so it should be perfect for that application.

Ok I placed an order for the initial parts to get started. Hopefully we measured right. I will get back in touch about that last set of windows soon. Thank you!

Jennifer
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the order, and please feel free to reach out once you can get that data for me. I will do my best to help

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.